How to work up a load

The first thing I do is find the max length for bullet then pick the powder I want to use
start low and then find max charge. Then load 3 and see how they group. If not pleased then load 3 more with 1 grain less untill it groups the best.

What bullet do you all do load development with?

I.e. for a hunting rifle do you use the bullet you intend to use for hunting (Partition), or do you use a cheaper bullet for most of the development and finish with the Partition?

I'll work up my hunting loads with the bullet I intend to use.

Then I'll work up a less expensive practice load with a standard cup & core bullet.

For instance with my .308 and my .30-06, my hunting load is usually either a 165 grain Nosler Partition or a 165 grain Ballistic Tip.

My practice ammo for each usually is loaded with the 168 grain Nosler match bullet, which I buy in bulk. It's much less expensive generally, and the point of impact is very close to the same. I can't see any difference in point of impact at 300 yards, that's good enough for me!

Ultimately, it is impossible to "work up a load" with a bullet other than the one you will use for hunting. Occasionally, you can find a bullet that has the same POI, but in the final analysis, you have to spend the money to use your hunting bullet to have valid information.

Back