Hunter brand scopes ???

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Whats your experiences with Hunter brand scopes. I can get a 3-9x40 for 60 bucks brand new marked half price. Leupplod vx-II is my yrdstick now. how would it measure up? Thanks for the thoughts. CL

Never heard of them, but a quick google of the brand gave me a picture of the scope, and it appears to be a close copy of either a Bushnell Banner or Tasco MagPlus. Either way, for $230 (half of $460) I suspect you can get a known brand like a Nikon Buckmaster, Bushnell Elite 3200, or Burris Fullfield II which will be as good or better quality with a known company behind it. Nothing against Hunter, but they're not an old time optics maker and may get into and out of the business relatively quickly, leaving you sunk on any service issues down the road. You could save about $50 and buy the Bushnell Elite 3200 in 3-9x40 for around $180 shipped to your door, and I'll personally vouch for the quality of those scopes.

OOOPS!!! TYPO That should have read "....for $60 bucks...." not 460. Fords finest engine.... :wink: CL

CL,

When it comes to optics, you get what you pay for. A $60 dollar scope is just that, a $60 dollar scope.
I guess it would also depend on what you are going to mount it on and what you are going to use it for.

Personally, I would put the money towards a name brand scope.

JD338

What rifle are you looking to put this on? IMO, the only rifle I would consider putting that on is a 22LR rifle. I'm also a believer that you truely do get what you pay for when it comes optics.

I'm a blue oval guy, too, CL, so I'll let the mistype slide. ;)

As for the scope, I'd strongly consider saving up and getting something like a Nikon ProStaff or Bushnell Legend, both of which can be had for around $150 in 3-9x40. You can get the 3200 for $170 right now from a couple of online places.

I haven't heard of that brand of scope before but.....If you are willing to spend $460 on a 3x9 I would spend a little less and get a Zeiss conquest 3x9.
Gunbroker is a great place to find one. If I remember correctly I picked one up for $349 new in box with all the papers.

CL,

Hope we aint bursting your balloon, but if your using your VXII as a yardstick, I dare say the unknown brand you mention wont mark an inch on your yard stick.

May I suggest what I think is a great buy for the money is the original Bausch and Lomb 3000 series. I have several 3000 & 4000 series and they are great glass for the money. If you watch Ebay, you can pick one of those B&L 3000's in 3x9 for 100-150 quite often... Again a great deal for your money..

Others have said the same, but I'll repeat it, you get what you pay for and I'll add if its an unknown name, its unknown for a reason...

Rod

Back