Ultimate Slam VS other VX Freedom Models

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
Not to give a way the deal (although I guess I am arent I?) Optics Planet is running a deal on some Leupold stuff including a good price (seems to me any way) on The Ultimate Slam Model.
Opinions on this model, how its different, Why its cheaper, is it worthwhile from real world experience would be appreciated. I suspect Leupold is about to bring out some "new models" so these are reduced in price?
If I were to pick one up I would have to buy a rifle to put under it, I'll take recomendations and donations (kidding) on that point too. ;) CL

"Optics Deals" always suck me in...... 🤔

I bought a used Ultimate Slam 2-7x33 SABR scope and mounted it on my Marlin 375 Win when I moved the Leupold 2.5 scope with heavy duplex over to me Marlin 41 Rem Mag. UNfortunately, I have not gotten out to shoot it since swapping scopes, but now that I have replaced the older cracked and repaired stock with a set of laminated stocks, I will get it ready for bear season.
These scopes are multi-coated and waterproof/fogproof like the rest of their scopes.
The reticles are calibrated for muzzleloaders/shotguns from 50-300 yards in 50 yard increments, and I thought I would try it with the 375 Win sighted in for shorter range (50 yards) and see where the the bottom of the circle and 2 lower dots end up putting the shots on target at further distances (hopefully similar at 100, 150 and 200 yards) as this cartridge has the following ballistics for muzzle to 200 yards in 50 yard increments (velocity, energy and drop):
WinchesterPower Point200 gr
0.214​
2200​
2150​
2026​
1823​
0.3​
1862​
1539​
0​
1706​
1293​
-2.8​
1562​
1083​
-8.7​
So far the scope seems to have Leupold quality glass and at under 10 oz is nice and light. Should be robust and reliable like all of their earlier scopes.

Recommendations:
Obviously a shotgun or muzzleloader would be tops for this model.
As I did, on a lever action in some slower velocity cartridge that would suit your needs or desires...such as a 25-20 for jack rabbits and badgers?

Thank you sir- those details are kinda what I thought. Just surprised at the price. And a 20-25 would be a hoot! Thanks. CL

Back