Hunting Lease questions

JDMAG

Handloader
Aug 15, 2006
Does anyone have any ideas for an inexpensive way to post a new hunting lease. Some friends and I have just leased a little over 400 acres in TN and would like to manage it for trophy deer. The property has not been leased for a couple of years now, and I think some folks have probably been slippin over the fence. :evil: Granted I figgered this by the way some people were telling me of the size of the deers they had already seen on the property and adjoining hunting clubs.
Pop, if this post should be moved to the "off topic " area of the web site please fill free to do so.
Thanks,
JD

Your best bet is to go hav esome corrugated plastic signs made, and I mean plenty of them. Try to make it where a person cannot get across the fence without nearly bumpring into one of these signs. Then spread the word in local gunshops and other hunter hangouts that you will be prosecuting to the fullest extent of the law. Poachers are stealing game from you, plain and simple. I have no paitence with them. I think they ought all to be disallowed from owning a gun or hunting in any capacity ever again if they're caught.

Out of curiosity, where in TN are you from?

West TN unit "L". There has been some good deer killed in this area. I have been looking for a lease to get on for about 12 years now, since I moved here from Texas. Didn't want to have to pay for a place to hunt, but I have came to the conclusion that it is a bit safer due to over crowding on public land and or "free" private land. I have an 11 year old that needs a good place to learn to hunt with out me worrying about un skilled novices shooting in the general location of what they presumed was the sound of a deer.
This land has a 20 acre water shed on it for water fowl/ fishing and has in the past had some Quail on it. It also has as electrical hookup and a well with a pump. 8) We plan to plant some food plots and manage it for large deer. The land owner wants to keep it down to 6 hunters, and is willing to supply some old farm equipment to help out with the earth work.
I wish it would have come available earlier in the year, but I think we can still get some quality hunting done with a little scouting. :grin:
JD

JD, you just don't know what frustration is until you've gone through four years of herd management and have forgone taking any good bucks just to have the biggest buck on the place taken by a poacher. Its even worse when you find it on the sports page of the local paper. The only way to post and protect a lease is with fence and guard tower. I might also suggest getting to know the local game wardens on a first name basis. It could help with a little extra patrol. Also, most states have some type of standard sign that land is posted and no trespassing. In Texas its purple fence posts. Check it out, it may be something similar.

You should still be fine, although next year will be better. Try to locate the natural food sources and give them a little fall fertilizer. Also, you should be in some decent acorns in a spot or two, if I know the terrain up there very well, and that should help. Early season, hunt the paths to water. You probably already know all this, but you might forego planting anything this year and just try to improve the habitat a little in terms of some selective cutting of a few trees (if allowed) and then pile them in key places to affect travel routes. And, if you can get in pretty soon, you might get some winter grasses planted prior to the freeze and get a little out of them. Sounds like a dream club, wish I could find one near like that in north Alabama.

Thanks for the input, I have found a website that has posted signs 100 for $55.00. www.vosssigns.com
I have also found good deer sign on the property. It has alot of drainages and ridges, as well as mast and good cover. it's pretty grown up, but is surrounded by farmland, found a couple of old mineral licks that I think I can freshin up.
One of the guys on the lease has accesss to a photo ID system that we will be using, and no visitors are allowed on the lease without the host that invited them, who I think will have a "guest pass" to give them. (1 guest per member) This will make it easier on the game wardens. it will be a while, but I think we can get the whole property posted, and managed for some good hunting.
JD

IMO.....defined boundries, by a fence should be enough! In Louisiana one does not have to have posted signs; rather it's a given that if you don't own the land.....keep your arse off it! A really simple matter that is compounded by the lawless and disrespectful attitude by many people today! If you think a POSTED SIGN is going to keep poachers off your land......WELCOME to the world of UNREALITY!! IMO...the ONLY WAY one can have basically a deer farm to raise big bucks.....is to own about 20,000 acres in one location adjoining a river for boundry with gunboats afloat and a 20' high fence of concertina wire strung around the remaining sides with a machinegun tower every 300 yds! :( :cry:

Good luck! :roll: You'll need it!! :evil:

Back