Hunting loads for 30.06 165g Accubonds

trays7940

Beginner
Feb 21, 2006
Ok people, let me hear about your most accurate and deadly loads for a remington 700 30.06 using 165 gr AccuBond bullets. I would like a general purpose load, deer/elk out to 273yds. Thanks for the help....

I had a good one but it only went to 272 yards.

Seriously, I would like to hear what folks are getting with the 165's too.

Have a good load for the 150
grainers.

30-06 load
150 AccuBond
58 grains IMR 4350
winchester primers
RP brass
2950 fps.
sub moa

A lot of 30-06s love 57 grains of IMR 4350 with the 165 grain pellets.

HAHAHAHA... ok 273 seems a bit serious but, I was actually talking about my point blank range- it just came up on my program as 273 and i typed it that way...C'mon guys, let me hear your best elk/deer loads for the 30.06 with 165 AB's... the seasons over and I'm ready to build some bullets.

30-06

IMR 4350 @ 57.5
165 AB
Fed 210 Match Primer
FC Cases

Or 56.0 with 180 AB suggets the 180 AB for elk!

I haven't tried the 165 AccuBond yet, but I have used the 165 Ballistic Tip quite a bit. The following load is what I've used with any decent 165-grain bullet (and I currently use it with the 168-grain Barnes TSX):

64.0 grains Vihtavuori N560
Winchester brass and WLR primer

Velocity: 3,000+ fps over the chronograph
Accuracy: Around 1 inch at 200 metres. (The Barnes, Hornady and Nosler bullets all shoot with this level of accuracy for me.)
Rifle: Remington 700 Stainless Synthetic Mountain Rifle with a 22-inch factory barrel.

With this combination, I'm basically getting .300 WSM-level performance.

I can not get them to shoot that great in my rifle, but the best was 57.5 grs H4350, Fed210. Good luck!

trays7940":22t3hxk3 said:
Ok people, let me hear about your most accurate and deadly loads for a remington 700 30.06 using 165 gr AccuBond bullets. I would like a general purpose load, deer/elk out to 273yds. Thanks for the help....

My 165 AB load uses a slightly over-book max charge of H4350 to achieve 2980 fps from a 22" Pac-Nor barrel. In my case, loading to the SAAMI overall length for the cartridge put the bullet just shy of the lands. My rifle has a short throat.

Things will be different for your rifle. Each one is different. My load might suck in your rifle, or be dangerous.

That said, here's what I do. When velocity matters to me, as it does for my hunting loads usually, I first find velocity since sometimes I also find accuracy in the process. It's worth trying a few different powders that look promising in the books. It's amazing how one powder will deliver book speeds at a given charge while others will fall way short, even in the same rifle! So find the powder that gives you the velocity you want, and pay attention to what you see accuracy-wise as you do your pressure run-ups. If it doesn't shoot accuratly you can carefully start to mess with OAL to try to find an accuracy "node".

If speed does not matter and accuracy is the primary concern, start with relatively mild loads and try different combinations of things until you hit one that works! You'll know it when you hit it- suddenly, it gets much, much easier to shoot really nice groups.

I love H4350 for the 30-06. Great velocity, a predictable powder, tempurature-stabilized... good stuff! Look in the Hodgon mini-book for their idea of maximum charges, which will be higher than just about any other book you'll see. Then work up carefully if a maximum-power load is your goal.

I've only killed anything with a 180-gn AB from my 30-06 and it worked perfectly. I'm switching to 165's for that rifle since I just want one load for it.

-jeff

when i was loading for the 30-06, the best powder was h414,magnum primers and max loads.

baltz526":3ryn9dvz said:
when i was loading for the 30-06, the best powder was h414,magnum primers and max loads.

I tried 414... that's a ball powder, right? I seem to remember a big fireball. I don't like fireballs! :) One more reason to flinch.

I think I still have some 414... I'll give 'er a try again sometime.

-jeff

Back