HUNTING STYLE AND RIFLES

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
Hunting Style and Rifles

I have learned so much through the years as well as confirmed by my own experiences things I thought were so. I really like the ideas of so many on hunting, reloading, shooting, rifles of all make and brands as well as the optics we put on them. I like so many different kinds of rifles. I have had the opportunity of owning at least one fine hunting rifle of all the major brands on the market today.

First and foremost, even though I like other make’s of rifles especially custom rifles, I have become a Weatherby fan and don’t see me changing. Just like others who have become fans of other brands of rifles. I love the Mark V and what Weatherby gives you for the bucks spent on their production rifles. I love their great line of cartridges that are so useful and the wildcats that can come from them.

I have never owned or picked up a Weatherby that has not been a good shooter and some of you who have owned many more and shoot more Weatherby’s could say the same. Yet some have had bad experiences like any other make of rifle, there is the occasional Weatherby that was not manufactured well. Yet, a bad one here and there does not negate a fine rifle design no matter what the company.

With all of the options and brands out there one could use for hunting, I have chosen to go with my Weatherby rifles most of the time in the field. The reason is based on my hunting style. 1. I have adopted what I call practicality of standard hunting situations that are usually the norm for most hunters. The exception to this approach is that most do not reload and only uses factory ammo and I reload and of course I have to at this time with my two Weatherby rifles and cartridges being wildcats. 2. I employ a style and technique which is an attitude of hunting by getting as close to the game as you can before you take the shot. This allows for the experience of actually going after game (called hunting) while also taking short, medium or as I would call 500 – 600yd shots, long shots. 3. I also choose to apply not only the advantage of a Weatherby cartridge which is velocity, energy, momentum but push for good “Accuracy” to help ensure humane and quick kills no matter what distance I am proficient at in taking game.

This requires bullets that do not come apart or act only like arrows. Bullets that will kill up close, at medium ranges and extended ranges. That have good terminal results while flying well and stable at all the distances that I shoot. I will take short, medium or long shots (500-600yds) and the bullet needs to hold together as well as fly well at the velocities my Weatherby will be pushing them. I hunt swamps, thickets, gas line right-of-ways, desert mountains, open bean fields, prairies, eastern forest, ponderosa forest and alpine meadows. With either of my Weatherby’s after careful load development and practice, I will be able to accomplish the above style and method of hunting. With my Weatherby’s I will be able to hunt like this extremely well.

I want to have cartridges that are versatile and rifles that do not weight a ton like some long range rifles. I want to be able to carry it anywhere I go to hunt applying my method of hunting and techniques. I am able to do this with my Weatherby’s which are my preference although other brands and makes of rifles can also accomplish the above mention task, but my Weatherby’s do fill the bill very well. When you put top quality hunting scopes like a Zeiss or Swaro on your Weatherby, you have what I believe is an all around package that allows you so much flexibility. Also a rig one can be proud to own that meets the needs of practical hunting for most hunters in all opportunities and places. Yes, give me a Weatherby and let me go hunting.

What hunting style do you employ and what rifle brand and cartridges do you prefer?
:grin:

Good post bullet.

Although, I prefer to "spot and stalk" I enjoy still hunting, and hunting from a blind too.

mulie05A-1.jpg

For spot & stalk on mule deer, I sure like my .25-06 Rem 700 with the 6x Leupold. Good mid-range rifle. Accurate & dependable. Shown here with the 4.5-14x scope mounted.

whiteriver05.jpg

Still hunting in thick stuff - I like Marlin's .45-70 lever gun and the little 2.5x Leupold is a favorite.

300WSMB.jpg

If I'm in a blind, I'm usually anticipating a pretty long shot. In prior years that would have meant my 7mm Rem mag, but now I've got a .300 WSM that promises even better accuracy and performance.

Yup - I try to cover the bases from short-range to longish range.

Regards, Guy

+1 on the post. I have to agree on the choice of firearms. I have 2 weatherbys vaguards (30-06, 300wsm) but have 2 sakos (30-06,308) 1 custom (7 mag) and a remmingtom m-7(7mm08). I stick to these two calibers because of the amount of bullet choices for reloading, and because I refuse to pay for factory ammo. Our cost here for factory ammo is up there with the space station :) .

IMO both are enough for the game we have here. I do mostly slow goat hunting and this means climbing hills. I used to carry the sako, and with the scope is about 10 lbs. The weatherby came next and it weighs a little less. But after climbing and dragging an animal or two out, the rifles gets really heavy :cry: , so when I had a chance to get the model 7, I immedately bought it. One of the best buys I ever made, its perfect for the mountains. :grin:

We don't have elk, execpt for a private ranch, and we don't have bears, unless you count some of my hairy friends. Our axis deer are not as large as white tails and mulies so the 30-06's and 308 are good for them. We have muflon and they are not as fast as your speed goats but they are fast, and they have very good eyesight also. This is what the 7mag is used for, those long shots. I got the wsm for the once in a life time plains game hunt, and hopefully that elk hunt one day.

Most of my hunting is "spot and stalk" and I enjoy the challenge, plus blinds are a no-no here. So for me, my choices in calibers are more of a matter in economics. As far as the brand and type of rifles it was a matter of where and when I hunt, (mountains-small rifle, deer season in April-rain/stainless) and what appeals to the eye and pocket book. :)

Since we have chitty-chatted before, you should already know my thoughts on this good subject that you bring to the table!!.......First the calibers! To cover all possibilities of game assuming one hunts varmits up to the big dangerous stuff, IMO, a maximum of only 3 hunting rifles are necessary.............For the varmits, a .223 to a 243, although a 243 is good one for deer...............For deer sized game on up to the big elk and even moose, a 30 caliber mag. offers the best versatility.............For the moose up to the most dangerous game on the N/A continent and in Africa, plus large African plains game, a .375 gives the best versatility in my view!....................Since I`m not a varmit hunter, that leaves two calibers and two rifles that need to conform to any game, situation and hunting style that can serve any purpose, whether in brush, thickets, wide open plains, short range, medium range or long range!............I like my rifles more compact, lighter, shorter, handier, more manuverable, quicker to shoulder, easier to carry, quicker to target, but they also need to be powerful enough to do the job on any game...................To cover any possibilities and adapt to any possible style of hunting, I will use only two rifles and two calibers! One I have, one is coming later........................A 300 WSM Ruger M77 Frontier 16.5" barreled compact carbine (which BTW ballistically exceeds a 24" barreled 30-06), using either a 3x9 conventionally mounted scope or a scout scope depending on the terrain................On its way by Sept., a .375 Ruger, Howa M1500; w/ a 20" free floating barrel and a black Hogue stock, which is almost the same as the Ruger Alaskan. A Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20 w/ the German #4, which I now have will sit on that one!!...........These two rifles will adapt to anything. Any weather, any game, any terrain, short ranges to long ranges, from stalk hunting to stand style hunting, whatever it is. And because of their more compact size, it will be easier in the process!.............Needless to say, I won`t have the need for a big gun cabinet???? :lol:

Great post bullet. I, like you, have become a fan of weatherby with my recent purchase of an accumark in 257 wby mag. I also own a sako 75(300wm), a 270 arnold mag on a sako action and a marlin 17hmr. I've had numerous rifles in the past and numerous calibers. Most of my hunting is corn fields in Nebraska and pipeline right of ways in La. Long shots are what I like and I practice out to 400 yards on a regular basis to remain proficient. I never was a woods kind of hunter because I like the challenge of the shot more than the kill itself. I took a 160 class buck this year at 40 yards and that did not provide the thrill that I'm accustomed too(it's a sure kill). Being a former competitive shooter I tend to favor the shots out to three and four hundred yards. I'm very proficient at these ranges and not just throwing bullets for those of you that might think that I am. I pick my shots very carefully and place them correctly. Practice and top notch equipment is the key for me, then more practice. I shot 500 rounds with the 300 throughout the year and 5 times hunting, 5 deer. Not bragging but practice is the key if your going to shoot at these ranges. By the way, I'm sold on the weatherby's and trying to decide what caliber I want next. These things shoot. I can't wait for next hunting season to test out the 257.

Great Post, and I am going to follow Guy's lead: Conditions and Terrain dictate. Beautiful rifles by the way Guy!!!

Where I live is "Where the Pine Meets the Praire". One side of the river is where the plains start and the other is where the pine forests begin. And they both offer hunting styles I enjoy.

On the Nodak side, I prefer to post/sit/stalk and watch the critters come from a long way off and likewise can shoot along ways off. For this I use a 7mmRM and and 7STW. I also use my .243 & my .257 Bob. Bolt action with good scopes prevail.

Over at the family farm in MN; a long shot can be 300+ as mongo the big boy goes running directly away from you. More often than not we will "drive" big woods/river bottoms/swamps/corn fields. There I use my .308 semiauto and or my .257 AI (built like a model 7 rem). But of late I have been yearning for something I carried in my youth.

I want to find a Rem Model 141 in .35 Rem. I carried one for several yrs as it was my Grandpa's "extra" rifle. Ironically, when I was younger, I was embarrassed to be stuck using it. Now I really want to find one and use it to honor Grandpa Nels....

To me, as long as I am with good folk and sharing good fellowship, I will be having a good time. Weather I am busting the brush driving deer to another family member or sitting in a rockpile freezing my keister off waiting for mongo to get up. Its all good. (But it is nice to fall asleep and wake up warm in a nice windproof blind).

Hey, what ever floats your boat and realistically, there are a few guys here I'd be honored to share a campfire with... By the way, JD where the hell were you about 5 yrs ago???

Great post..

Rod

Guy Miner":1e6jed97 said:
Yup - I try to cover the bases from short-range to longish range.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner, I also try to cover the bases from short to longish range, I surely agree. thanks for you post and the Pictures.

GB300wm":2pumhp6b said:
Great post bullet. I, like you, have become a fan of weatherby with my recent purchase of an accumark in 257 wby mag. I also own a sako 75(300wm), a 270 arnold mag on a sako action and a marlin 17hmr. I've had numerous rifles in the past and numerous calibers. Most of my hunting is corn fields in Nebraska and pipeline right of ways in La. Long shots are what I like and I practice out to 400 yards on a regular basis to remain proficient. I never was a woods kind of hunter because I like the challenge of the shot more than the kill itself. I took a 160 class buck this year at 40 yards and that did not provide the thrill that I'm accustomed too(it's a sure kill). Being a former competitive shooter I tend to favor the shots out to three and four hundred yards. I'm very proficient at these ranges and not just throwing bullets for those of you that might think that I am. I pick my shots very carefully and place them correctly. Practice and top notch equipment is the key for me, then more practice. I shot 500 rounds with the 300 throughout the year and 5 times hunting, 5 deer. Not bragging but practice is the key if your going to shoot at these ranges. By the way, I'm sold on the weatherby's and trying to decide what caliber I want next. These things shoot. I can't wait for next hunting season to test out the 257.

I like the 300-400yds shots and my practice have made them second nature. Yea, I think you need a 300Wby :)

nodak7mm":3llofpd2 said:
Great Post, and I am going to follow Guy's lead: Conditions and Terrain dictate. Beautiful rifles by the way Guy!!!

To me, as long as I am with good folk and sharing good fellowship, I will be having a good time. Weather I am busting the brush driving deer to another family member or sitting in a rockpile freezing my keister off waiting for mongo to get up. Its all good. (But it is nice to fall asleep and wake up warm in a nice windproof blind).

Rod

nodak7mm, I with you on the good folk and sharing good fellowship, that just makes the hunting more fun. Guy is right about the Conditions and Terrain do dictate the means one employs when hunting.

Big Squeeze, you got it worked out for you and I know it will get the job done.

Only in America can one have the freedoms to not talk about hunting in most any form but the right to have guns for those very purposes.

+1 to Guy and Nodaks posts. I have only one rifle and I have a thing for a sorta strange calibre that fits a small niche. Dont ask me why ... its a long story. I do have a great deal of respect bolstered by boyhood awe of the good old 7MM Magnum and Dads ability to shoot it. Jacks in the river bottoms or big Mullies up on top. If you can only afford one and you can really hunt (unlike myself) that would be worth considering. IMHO CL

I bought my first centerfire rifle when I was 23....thats 20 years ago now. Until then I had always borrowed rifles from relatives. It was a LH Rem 700 7mm mag. I still have & use that rifle. It is extremely accurate. If I ever draw a Colorado sheep tag it will tag along with me. :grin:

But I LOVE rifles & hunting to much to stick to just one gun. Lately, for elk out west, I have been using a Weatherby mark V in 300 wby. It covers anything I could run into where I hunt. Topped with a Leupold VariX-III 2.5-8x it is ready for shots up close to 300-400 yard pokes. I use 200 grain NP handloads.

C0Elk-2007.jpg

Hunting black bears & deer here in PA I typically have used my Remington 7600 pump in 35 Whelen. I have lost count of the deer I have killed with it. I use 250 grain Hornady roundnose bullets. It is my "bang-flop" magic wand. Dropping deer where they stand. I usually hunt in areas where the cover is thick. Shots past 100 yards... "treading the needle"... are rare.

685ce25c.jpg

I also use a peep sighted savage 99 when hunting in REAL close cover. It is an absolute joy to hunt with.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ ... 99-rub.jpg

I could easily hunt all the game i want in any state with just my 30-06 or 7 mag & never really need anything else. But then that would not be quite as much fun for me as having what I have now to pick from.

This year I intend to use my ne wcustom mauser in 35 whelen for virtually everything...elk through deer. It shoots great & has all teh power I will need for anything. I can't wait to break it in :grin:

StilesWhelen-2.jpg

StilesWhelen-1.jpg

Bullet, Awesome write-up and thoughts.....

Iron Buck.... Good luck on the Sheep Tag.... all I can say is I hope your in line BEHIND me... :grin:

I remember as far back as I can strart " remembering things " as going hunting with Dad.....back about 1975 or so. I can remember riding in the truck with the ole 7 ( Rem700 7mag ) Every time we'd see something and Dad would ask for the gun, I'd start screaming and yelling because the gun was too loud. ( I'm impressed with my Dad for never shooting me )

Well, the Rem 7mag was the only gun he had, but soon purchased a 17 Rem700... a few years later came the 22-250, .223 all in Rem700 Varmiters...by age 10 Dad had given me a 22-250 Rem 700 Varmiter... ya, I could hardly hold the darn thing up, but that's all it took.

For me, it's something about the feel of the gun. Since then I've always packed Rem700's with big heavy barrels no matter where I'm hunting.
I'll have to admit however that the conditions / where we're hunting does determine what I take.....We hunt some black timber and thick areas, however those seasons are genearally in Sept and I'm packing my Hoyt rather than a Rem700.

As I'm getting older I'm finding the weight starting to wear on me and looking towards the lighter guns. Which has lead to a second issue of needing more field time / practice time due to the different feel.

I can confidently say it's been Rem700's no matter the situation for my family since I can remember....I Think the below is what started it for me.
DadsBull.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

WOW!!! That is an awesome bull!!! I only see them like that in my dreams LOL.

Good luck to you on sheep as well. This iswhat got me interested in sheep hunting. A few years back while archery hunting elk in September there was a Colorado Game biologist who was hunting bighorns. My buddy & I shared a campsite with him. I spotted this ram during my morning hunt & told him about it later that day. He shot him late afternoon. We then helped cape, bone & haul him, down. Note the rainbow ..........ending on the lucky hunter:)

I love it in those mountains. I intend to run around in them at least once a year as long as I can physically do it. You live in a beautiful sate!

cafed97b.jpg

Some REAL nice mulies up that high as well

BigMulie1.jpg

Powerstroke, thanks, that is one, I mean one very nice bull. I like Weatherby and Rem 700 and Mod 7's

Back