Huskemaw Rifle Scopes

CanuckBen

Beginner
Nov 27, 2011
I'm interesting in getting the opinions of those who've been using Huskemaw scopes.

As a baseline I can only presume that they are of great quality like the other manifacturer (Leupold, Zeiss, etc).

Does it offer anything more, or conversly, something less then the other big names out there?

Easy to use w/ different bullet and loads (i.e. the very specific RFBC turret)

Flexible in its usage, from short to long rage? For this I would consider the 3-12x42 as it is advertised as as their medium range scope.

I'll be in the market for some new glass soon and unfortunately some of the higher end products are not always in stock in town, so I can't always see them in person prior to placing an order.

Cheers
Ben

I don't find them to be the same quality as Leupold, Zeiss. etc. The big selling feature is that the turret can be cut to 1/3 MOA for a true yardage dial. The turret is prepared for a specific load (fixed BC, velocity, temp., elevation, etc.).

DrMike":xw9yroi9 said:
I don't find them to be the same quality as Leupold, Zeiss. etc. The big selling feature is that the turret can be cut to 1/3 MOA for a true yardage dial. The turret is prepared for a specific load (fixed BC, velocity, temp., elevation, etc.).

I believe it is the same concept as Leupold's CDS system right? I recall each turret being $60, so one could order a few for each specific load. For me one or two would suffice as I am not a handloader, so I tend to stick with the same one once i'm please with it.

You really need to get true drops from your load to have the dials cut. That means you need to shoot them out to the distances the dials are cut for. A different lot of bought bullets will have different velocity and subsequently different drops. So if you have a dial made make sure you buy a bunch of the same lot of ammo.

BTW factory ammo isn't known for low extreme spreads in velocity which hurts long range accuracy.

Seems that Leupold and a few others have some nice dial systems. I am kinda liking the VX3's with CDS. I would like to have just a regular VX3 3.5x10 w/CDS for my 300WSM or 7WSM. Not sure why a Huskemaw is so much loot, but Zeiss, Leupold, Minox and a few others have some great options as well. Scotty

If you do get one for factory ammo, I'd spend the money on premium ammo like Nosler's. They will be more likely to have a consistent velocity and a good BC than most cheaper loads. Perhaps Gunwerks, HSM, or one of those companies loaded with the Hodgden temp-stable powder would be better. I load Hodgden extreme powders and accubonds for my use. Also you will need to shoot them over a chronograph to get an accurate velocity, and shoot them out to the ranges you will have your dial marked for.

I have the Leupold CDS on a couple rifles and they work well out to 600yds. I handload and found a load with a very consistent velocity with a temperature stable powder. With Leupold you just send in your BC and velocity load info and not your own drop chart. It has proven accurate enough for me that adjusting a click or two on my zero at 100yds will get me centered at 600yds.

Whatever you get you really need to shoot it at long range to verify that it works, and practice a whole lot with it if you want to start shooting past 350yds. That is a long shot, and every yard past starts really amplifying any mistakes on your end.

mcseal2":13degqhp said:
I have the Leupold CDS on a couple rifles and they work well out to 600yds. I handload and found a load with a very consistent velocity with a temperature stable powder. With Leupold you just send in your BC and velocity load info and not your own drop chart. It has proven accurate enough for me that adjusting a click or two on my zero at 100yds will get me centered at 600yds.

Whatever you get you really need to shoot it at long range to verify that it works, and practice a whole lot with it if you want to start shooting past 350yds. That is a long shot, and every yard past starts really amplifying any mistakes on your end.

Quite a few people have had problems with dials not being accurate when just submitting velocity and bc. That is why I would shoot the distances and submit that info to Leupold rather then having to deal with it afterwards if it is wrong.

Consistency in the load is what as been the main ? when looking at these models. I do not handload, but always do buy higher end ammo, be it from Nosler or Hornady, depending on what I'm shooting.

IdahoCTD":5usf4h9t said:
mcseal2":5usf4h9t said:

Quite a few people have had problems with dials not being accurate when just submitting velocity and bc. That is why I would shoot the distances and submit that info to Leupold rather then having to deal with it afterwards if it is wrong.
yes they have problems, why? because the published BC is probably not they're actual BC, its just what they came up with testing in they're conditions.
I shoot alot at extended ranges, and of all the bullets tested only once was the published BC right on. even today shooting the 7mm 160 AccuBond which nosler published the BC at .531, I have to run it anywhere from .58 to .62 to make my charts match my actual trajectory.
and don't forget bar pressure changes your BC, enough so that to shoot consistantly beyond 700 yards it must be taken into account.
RR

Huskemaws are selling for a lot of money for the optical quality that you get. Kahles used to sell a 1 inch model (Model CL) that had a feature called multizero for under $1000. They presently sell a CS Model Multizero scope with a 30mm tube for about $2000. These are set by the shooter for up to four separate ranges (zero, +3) to match your load and exact trajectory.

I have never found a scope yet that will exactly track with my loads and a ballistic coefficient that is stable at all velocites. For that reason, I do not believe that the Huskemaw system is anything except marketing hype as usual. Yes, I have seen their show, Best of the West.

I would much rather spend the money for a good scope and either buy dials or learn your rifle.

I have only looked at one Huskemaw scope. I did not think that it was worth the money spent. It was not that clear in dim lighting. But that could also be my old eyes. As far as the shooting part on all the tv shows with their one shot kills at all ranges. An outfitter told me a story about a hunt with a well known TV show. The hunter shot and hit it badly and they spent some time tracking the animal before shooting it again. And in the show they said it was a one shot kill. After the show is edited, pretty much you can say anything. Enough venting. Sorry.
Russ

For the money, I'd certainly consider a more well-known and established brand. Personally, I'd never even heard of Huskemaw until the Best of the Worst show aired.

Mountain Goat":1lcw1f85 said:
Personally, I'd never even heard of Huskemaw until the Best of the Worst show aired.

Same here - hadn't heard of them before the show.

if ya want a BDC knob, do your load workup, precisely build your drop chart and contact kenton industries. use accurate data and it'll serve you well to 700 yards.
RR

CanuckBen":h9pcgf3v said:
Mountain Goat":h9pcgf3v said:
Personally, I'd never even heard of Huskemaw until the Best of the Worst show aired.

Nobody had heard of them before Best Of the West came on TeeVee. They were a small family owned (guide?) business in Jackson Hole WY who I think wanted to be movers and shakers on outdoor TV and got a few family and friends to set up a custom rifle, scope system and were able to sell the concept to reality television (the Outdoor Channel). The rest as they say, is history?

Oldtrader3":3va6p3al said:
CanuckBen":3va6p3al said:
Mountain Goat":3va6p3al said:

Nobody had heard of them before Best Of the West came on TeeVee. They were a small family owned (guide?) business in Jackson Hole WY who I think wanted to be movers and shakers on outdoor TV and got a few family and friends to set up a custom rifle, scope system and were able to sell the concept to reality television (the Outdoor Channel). The rest as they say, is history?

Conversely, every business must start somewhere right? Not saying that they are right out of the gate great quality scopes (why I started the thread of course) like the other big names, but you just never know!

Would love to see one in person compared to the Zeiss and Leupold glass I've used, but alas that ain't happening anytime soon!

Cheers
B

Very true. And just because their product and hunting style doesn't match mine or fit my needs doesn't mean that its poor quality. I simply have no interest in Huskemaw scopes. If someone does get a chance to review one though, there are people who would be interested in the findings.

My understanding is that Huskamaw does not make their own scopes anymore. The scopes are made to their specification in Asia. My understanding is that the assembly and testing is done in Japan from parts sourced from China and the Philippines. If I am incorrect, please correct me. My information comes from various sources on the internet.

Back