I can't stand a 130 gr Accubond or a 125 ballistic tip.

1Shot

Handloader
Dec 5, 2008
That is what a few deer would say that I shot on my three week hunting trip to east NC. :mrgreen:
I killed a big body buck with my 264 Win mag and the 130 AccuBond. He was a 5 point with no brow tines, should have been a seven. He came out of the cut-over 75 yards from me and I popped him in the shoulder. He stiffened up and kangaroo hopped three hops and fell stone dead. I shot a big doe at 111 yards with the 264 mag and the 130AB, bang flop, and another big doe at 175 yards, bang flop. I killed a big body 8 pt with the 125 ballistic tip from my T/C Contender 14" barrel pistol in 30-30AI at 90 yards. He popped out of the cut over with the posture of "I have arrived" with his head held high with that stiff legged stance. I placed my ear plugs in my ears, cocked the Contender and cranked the 2.5-8X28 Weaver up to 8. I placed the cross hairs on the front edge of the center of the bucks right front shoulder as he quartered toward me. Squeezed the trigger and BOOM the 125 BT fired by 33 grs IMR 4198 lit by a Wolf LR primer left the Winchester case and exited the muzzle at an average of 2670 fps and struck it's mark. I had the pistol zeroed at 100 yards. The buck jumped at least 6' in the air and did a little break dance came down and almost fell right there due to his leg bone being broken into just above where the leg bone meets the scapula. instead he nose plows down the path 25 yards and crashes. The bullet exited mid ribcage on the off side with a quarter size hole with everything in between wiped out. I killed another big doe with my 308 Win rifle with the 125 BT pushed by 46 grs IMR 4895 from a WW case lit by a CCI BR2 primer to 3000 fps. The doe was 118 yards away facing me. She had her head up looking my way so I place the cross hairs in the center of her chest. I have a 3" high zero at 100 yards so the bullet hit high chest low neck area. BANG FLOP. Only thing hold her head on was the hide on the sides. I killed two other bucks with my 25-06 using 117 Sierra bullets which deer can't stand either. One a seven point with no brow times and the other was a nice typical but high 6 point. I killed 2 other does with the 25-06 and 117 Sierras. 4 bucks and 5 does all together. My freezer is full and I brought 3 deer to some friends that wanted meat. IN east NC you get 4 buck tags and two anterless tags to start with. You can get all the antlerless tags you want. They come 2 for $10. I had a great time and made some memories with my hunting buddy of 22 years.

Nice work. Good thing you are a good shot though, cause those bullets are really marginal for big game. :roll: :wink:

Congratulations on your Safari hunt. You stacked them up like fire wood.

JD338

Back