I loaded for the first time today

goose25

Beginner
Mar 3, 2007
I reloaded for the first time today. Besides a couple drawbacks….It was quite amusing! It took a lot longer than I thought it would, but I have to admit I kept double and triple checking all my work. I also was learning how to use and adjust all of my equipment.

I was loading for my .30-06 and loaded a total of 100 rounds (180gr Interbonds, and 165gr BTSP Interlocks). I started with the minimum load in my manual and worked up to my maximum load by .5grains increments (5 rounds of each).

My Speer manual listed their max load for IMR-4350 at 58grains/165 and 57grains/180, and my Lyman manual listed theirs at 57grains/165 and 56grains/180. (I went with the max load from the Speer manual). Why were the max loads different? Seemed like the loads were referring to the same style of bullet.

I used unfired bulk Winchester brass. After attempting to trim them all to 2.484" I did find a couple of them measuring between 2.485-2.4865".... I even had one case that measured 2.4805. I was using a Lee case trimmer and had it set up on a drill press. (Using the lock stud/shell holder in the chuck of the drill). Are the variations in case length I encountered normal/acceptable? 1000-2000th of an inch might not seem like much, but I would suspect that I might run into problems with different case length when having to crimp a bullet with a cannelure? Also, would accuracy suffer from these minor discrepancies? Should I load the shorter case (2.4805), is it safe?

I also ran into a couple problems with my scale (RCBS 5-0-5). There were a few loads that weren’t coming out right, I couldn’t and still haven’t found what I was doing wrong. I would check my zero every few rounds and it had to be readjusted a couple times during the weighing process. (It is on level ground, wasn’t moved, dust free, weights all on zero, pan seated properly). I don’t get it? There are also 4-5 rounds that came up short, I would visually inspect the powder level inside the case and could see the rounds that were coming up short. This was quite discomforting. I decided to weigh every charge twice, it was extremely time consuming and somewhat frustrating.

Finally, I’m still unsure which/when I have to crimp a bullet. I have a LEE deluxe die set and it states in the instructions that it is not necessary to crimp loads other than for hunting purposes. Other sources mention it is only required to crimp when loading for semi’s and tube fed mags. And some have told me it is only necessary to crimp bolt guns that have extreme recoil. I’m confused? Do I have to crimp bullets with a cannelure? Do I have to crimp altogether? When is it required to crimp and when is it not?

Hey, good to see ya getten er done!
Loading does take a long time, but it goes a little faster once you learn a system. Also, I found that a digital scale helped me a lot.

With your scale problems, I had a lee scale and a lyman 500 grain scale. I had problms with both of them. I narrowed it down to making sure the scale arm was centered on the fulcrum (make sure that the scale bar is centered on the razer blade or whatever the fulcrum is otherwize you get a little bit of friction on the side of the scale.

I don't ever crimp 30-06 because crimping is ment to make sure the bullets don't come loose from recoil. The 06 doesn't produce enough recoil to worry about it. crimping is a pain, you have to make sure everythin is set up just right or you will collaps the case sides. Also, I am not sure if you are ever supposed to crimp a bullet w/o a crimping groove on the bullet - you may want to check on that.

The difference in the reloading manuals is probably because the lyman test barrel happened to get higher chamber pressures a little earlior - remember every rifle has it's own personallity.

BTW, sounds like you came up with a good way to use the cheap lee case trimmer ! good job.
hope this helps
Britz

Thanks for the reply.

I have another question...

If I were to try to seat a bullet about .010"-.020" off of the lands of the rifling, could this be done safely with a 150gr bullet? will the 150gr be seated deeply enough into the case? what is the minimum depth a bullet has to be seated in a case?

General rule of thumb is that the bullet should be seated to about the same depth as the bullets diameter. You can vary some with that, but I like to stay somewhere close to the bottom of the neck. Others MMV.

But now you are hooked. If you dont have one, a tumbler will probably be your next purchase with all the brass you are going to pile up with all that load testing. :)

Long

Yes reloading does take a lot of time but the rewards are well worth it! A digital scale definetly helps a lot, we just got one a few months ago and I dont know how i lived without it before, we went all out and got a Lyman DPS II that poors a charge for you into a digital scale and it cut my powder charging and seating time in half! I load for two shooters so thats a lot of time saved.

I have never crimped any rifle bullet, its not neccessary and like mentioned above a lot can go wrong.

If your worried about not having enough of the bullet seated in the neck just take the longest cases you have and load the 150s in those, I load 110gr ones in my 308 and there only seated just a little more than halfway into the neck and I havent had any problems with shooting them.

With the differences in max loads it could be because each manual used a different brand bullet, or what was mentioned before, you could also go the IMR's web site, I think its Hodgdon.com, they have reloading data for all there rifle powders for what i would say just about every bullet weight in every calliber. Its especially helpful if your working up a load with a powder thats not used in the manual for that bullet weight, that happened to me and thats how I found their site.

crimping with the lee crimper is extremely easy. some rifles i crimp every bullet. and with some rifles your groups will improve. and you do not need a canalured bullet to use the lee crimper

Back