I Love To Walk And Call Coyotes - Something new coming:) :)

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
Yes, I have been hunting coyotes for over 25yrs and my favorite way to do it is to walk and call. Setting up in camo, calling them trying to get them to come into wooded areas and short fields and out on gas lines. I have done this form of coyote hunting for the last 10yrs with a Ruger standard Mk II 22-250.

BUT SOMETHING NEW IS COMING. I needed to be able to move and turn quicker in bush and tight places but still want a rifle that will get the job done out to 300, 400yds. Most open fields I hunt now don't have shots over 300yds but every once in a while I find one about 400yds to shoot across. I also needed a rifle that would allow me to make quick shots without taking my eyes away from the scope. I could have taken four coyotes not long ago in one short 220yd field if I could have made quick follow up shots without my eyes leaving the scope.

So having to get up move, reset myself, conceal myself, make multiple shots, while in some places there is not enough room to move a 22 or 24 inch barrel around quickly and not be noticed. SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOMETHING NEW IS COMING :):):)

811003_large.jpg

The Smith & Wesson M&P15OR “Optics Ready” rifle has a 6-position collapsible CAR stock, a M4 barrel with an A2 birdcage suppressor, and a gas block with an integral Picatinny-style rail for mounting sights and optics. Removable front and rear sights. The M&P15ORC AR15 rifle also features:

Caliber: 5.56mm NATO/ .223
Barrel Length: 16”
Total Length: 35” (extended), 32” (collapsed)
Weight: 6. 5 lbs
30-Round Magazine
Semi-Automatic Operating System
Barrel Twist: 1 in 9”
6-Position CAR Stock
4140 Steel Barrel
7075 T6 Aluminum Receiver
Hard Coat Black Anodized Finish
Chromed Materials: Barrel Bore, Gas Key Bolt Carrier, Chamber

Will have a VX-III 2.5-8x40mm scope.

I hunted with one for a year or so. They are very handy. I'm looking for a 20" upper for my lower. You'll love it. If you have never shot one it will take some getting used to. I know when I first got mine it cost me a few yotes because I was fumbling with my gun getting the clip in right or not getting the load chambered all the way. After a while though a guy gets used to it.

That scope will be a great piece of glass as well.

Enjoy!

jmad_81":ygh13gju said:
I hunted with one for a year or so. They are very handy. I'm looking for a 20" upper for my lower. You'll love it. If you have never shot one it will take some getting used to. I know when I first got mine it cost me a few yotes because I was fumbling with my gun getting the clip in right or not getting the load chambered all the way. After a while though a guy gets used to it.

That scope will be a great piece of glass as well.

Enjoy!

I am use to the AR, been using them off and on since 1968. Yes, I think the glass will be perfect for what I want.

Sweet..

I still like it even after carrying it for 21 years......... EVERY DAY..........

Mike, that is the same exact rifle I am developing loads for right now. I have failed so far with Benchmark and 60gr Partitions, but tomorrow I am going to try a few different powders with the 60gr Partition and 50gr BT's. The M4 chassis a very good platform. I think it will be the ultimate coyote hunter once we get it dialed in. It is very trim, light and very quick pointing. My buddies has a 3.5x10 VXIII on his and man, it still handles very nicely. You are on the right track with that gun. Myself, I am probably going with the Remington R15 in a 204, 243, or 223. Already camoed and a perfect hunter for yotes. Good pick though Mike, as Pop said, after carrying one for a long time and still carrying one, they are a great weapons system. Scotty

Mike,

Looks like a fun rifle! The 60 gr BT will be great for those long range shots on song dogs.

JD338

beretzs, I will more than likely only want to shoot the 60gr varmint bullets but loading will let me know.

JD, the 60gr BT will be a main contender for load work.

I should know by the end of today how the 60gr PT's shot with a small assortment of powders, and also how the 50gr BT's are in the M&P. It has taken alot more work with this gas gun to get a good load, but I think it will be worth in the end. Scotty

Scotty, I will be watching your results.

Yes, I feel this is just the beginning of a lot of fun, cash time on the range and in the field. WOW!! Who said there ain't life after a 340wby custom Weatherby???

What an extreme in cartridges, a 340wby to a 223 Rem - This is like a Cessna "VS" a Boeing 747

I will be trying Varget and TAC, I have both. Just trying to decide on a bullet that would take coyote and hogs without having to change bullets. Also, if any of you have a suggestion on a good factory ammo for defense that I could buy in bulk and is accurate, please chime in, thank you.

That is kind of the reason I am trying to get the 60gr PT to shoot. My hunting partner wants to use it for our smallish deer here in Va and have a good coyote load. I went with the Partition cause I know it will get inside deer. It is not a primary deer rifle, so I am really trying to focus on a good load for coyotes, that would also kill our 90lb deer effectively. If the Partitions do not work out today, I have ordered 70gr Speers, 65gr Sierra Gamekings, and 60gr BT's. I would hope one of them will work out. Varget is in the mix in todays shooting with the 60gr PT's, so hopefully it pans out.

As for a home defense load. If it were mine, I would run the Hornady TAP ammo out of mine. It is very frangible, and should not come out of a human torso. Thus minimizing the chance of over penetration. There are others, but I think the Hornady stuff is pretty good defense rounds. Plus, accuracy really doesn't matter too much when you are talking under 25 yards. I have NEVER seen an M4 that wouldn't shoot well under 25! Scotty

The 60 gr PT is a pretty tough bullet, it just isn't working for me in my 1:14 twist 22-250. I also shot a few of the 60 gr BT and I think the pattern was 5-6". If I could have had either one shoot for me, I would look no further for my coyote hunting.

You fellas with your faster twist barrels should have really nice accuracy.
I would be careful using the 60 gr PT for home defense due to over penetration. I agree that the Hornady TAP ammunition would be a good choice for the bad guys.

JD338

Bullet, we still didn't have much luck with the 60gr PT's. I really think that it is the trigger on the rifle. It is heavy and doesn't break the same twice in a row, which makes accuracy a little hard. It is plenty good for tactical situations, but with a good trigger, I think the rifle will really come into its own. It shows alot of potential, but it is a typical AR trigger that is hard to muster extreme accuracy out of, with decent consistency. I think you will really like the rifle though. Seems to be pretty reliable. Scotty

beretzs":3faqomml said:
Bullet, we still didn't have much luck with the 60gr PT's. I really think that it is the trigger on the rifle. It is heavy and doesn't break the same twice in a row, which makes accuracy a little hard. It is plenty good for tactical situations, but with a good trigger, I think the rifle will really come into its own. It shows alot of potential, but it is a typical AR trigger that is hard to muster extreme accuracy out of, with decent consistency. I think you will really like the rifle though. Seems to be pretty reliable. Scotty

If you rifle is 1&9 twist is is on the edge for stabilizing the 60gr bullet. Some rifles with the 1 & 9 do fine others don't.

Tell me if any you guys have a problem mounting a scope so as to see above the standard front sight of an AR 15, which you know is fairly high. The reason is that, I can get a S&W AR 15 with a back flip up battle sight on a flat top but it has the standard AR 15 front sight. If I get high enough rings for the flat top, will the front sight still cause problems.

Here is the one I can get, I really like a flip up back battle site instead of one I would have to take on and off. Any comments from those of you who have gone through all of this would be appreciated. Thank you :toast:

811002_large.jpg

I have decided after thinking about that I will not get this rifle called the gun shop and told them I want the S&W Optic Ready model. I am going to put front and back flip up battle sights on it and will mount a VX-III 2.5-8x36mm on the rifle. I have 1,140 rounds coming and a few other goodies. Here is the one I am going to get and thanks for responding. IT IS COMING IN NEXT WEEK. :)

POP":225rar9m said:
Congrats nice toy!

Yes, I would say this is a real toy compared to your new toy. Here is how they compare

My "rifle - your "RIFLE"

Bullet,

Thats a great pick for a scoped AR-15. I have a few ARs and most have no iron sights on them. And i also have the VX-III 2.5-8 on my AR-10 .308 which works great in the hardwoods or reaching out to touch something.

Back