I made up my mind..............................

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
After a long and painful deliberation of which marlin to get I finally ordered it this morning. I hope I made the right choice!

pix1408747640.jpg

In 450 Marlin of course! :lol:

Nice Pop.

Do you have a goat load picked out yet? :lol:

JD338

Pop the Hornady LeverEvolution ammo shoots under an inch at 100 yards in my .444 marlin. I'm sure your 450 marlin will do the same.I just can't wait to shoot some thing with it.

I think you're going to enjoy that big bore Marlin! They're a hoot to use, both on the range and in the field. Most of 'em are pretty darned well made, and shoot nicely. A few years back I chose the 18.5" ported Guide Gun. That was my introduction to big bore Marlin lever guns. I've since swapped it off for the 22" 1895, and have only taken one mulie with it.

445602.jpg

446304.jpg

408941.jpg

Now of course you're going to have to get a .22 Marlin 39 to go along with the big Marlin! Nosler makes a fine 300 gr Partition hunting bullet for the .450 & .45-70, with a great reputation. Pay attention to your choice of scope and scope mount, to make sure you end up with enough eyebrow clearance... The powerful .450 & .45-70 can churn up some pretty stout recoil with heavier loads. :grin: A dream of mine is to call in a big herd bull to about 10 yards, and blast him with the big Marlin... :grin:

Regards, Guy

Pop, I think you will like it! I bought a new XLR in 45-70 last fall & it really likes the Leverevolution & my Nosler reload as well. I shoot the 300 NP @
2,450 chronographed velocity & it is a great load. I took a good AR Whitetail last year with devasting effect. I hunt some country in the Ozarks that have Deer, Hogs & Bear on the same range & this rifle is perfect for that.

Well I shot her the other day. 2100 fps with the 325 Lever evolution and under MOA! Love it!

nomosendero":l4n8mgwt said:
Pop, I think you will like it! I bought a new XLR in 45-70 last fall & it really likes the Leverevolution & my Nosler reload as well. I shoot the 300 NP @
2,450 chronographed velocity & it is a great load. I took a good AR Whitetail last year with devasting effect. I hunt some country in the Ozarks that have Deer, Hogs & Bear on the same range & this rifle is perfect for that.

What is your load with the 300 NP.

The real pain has yet to be experienced. I view the .45 rifles as high kick and low hit. Ok for DG however at short range.

POP":2gfimcmy said:
Well I shot her the other day. 2100 fps with the 325 Lever evolution and under MOA! Love it!

Nice. :)

I've got a marlin 444P which is the guide gun version of the 444. Dang nice rifle. I've handled the XLR and they are great.

Good choice!

POP":2c568i22 said:
nomosendero":2c568i22 said:

What is your load with the 300 NP.

POP
My load is as follows: 300 NP, 56.2gr. of H4198, Rem. Nickel Brass, Rem 9 1/2 Primers, COL 2.533". Crimped with Lee Factory Crimp Die & this is very important for consistant & slightly higher velocities, Set the die at the highest setting & crimp TIGHT. A friend of mine who has been into the 45-70 for years worked up this load & is very consistant with this exact combo
of components. I esp. say this to others, work up slow & for Marlin & stronger only.

Back