I need a new barrel! ( New update)

Lilja barrel in stock
.257-10 3-groove SS #3 contour $335

From Lilja web site:
Q. What are the differences between 3 Groove and 6 Groove Barrels?

A. Almost all of the caliber and twist combinations in the rifle barrels we make are available with 6 lands and grooves. A few years ago we started to make barrels in a 3 groove configuration too at the request of some varmint hunters who were looking for longer barrel life. They were chambering barrels for hot 22 caliber varmint rounds and shooting the throats out of conventional 6 groove barrels fairly fast. We reasoned that if we reduced the number of grooves to 3 but kept the ratio of land to groove width the same (ie. the lands are twice as wide in a 3 groove barrel as compared to a 6 groove) that there would be more land area to resist heat erosion.

Well, it turned out that barrel life did increase and that accuracy stayed at least the equal of comparable 6 groove barrels. It is hard to put a percentage increase on barrel life but a conservative estimate might be 20%.

Benchrest shooters are always experimenting and looking for a competitive edge. Before long a few shooters, including Dan Lilja, were putting 3 groove barrels in 6PPC and 22 Waldog on their light varmint and heavy varmint class benchrest rifles. And these barrels proved to be very accurate. They started winning benchrest matches and soon became popular among the benchrest shooters. .

On the right is Dan with a .193" 200 yard group fired at a benchrest match in Billings Montana in 1998.

This was with a 6 mm PPC 13" twist 3-Groove Barrel.

And we found that as a side benefit the 3 groove barrels seemed to foul very little and clean up quickly. We attributed this to the reduced number of corners inside collecting powder and copper fouling.

This answer to 3 groove - 6 groove question is not meant to discredit the 6 groove barrels. They have consistently shoot extremely well over the years. Dan continues to shoot both 6 and 3 groove barrels on his benchrest rifles. But if you haven't tried a 3 groove you might consider one the next time you need a barrel. We do not offer them in all of our caliber and twist combinations. Our page with caliber and twist listings indicates if a 3 groove barrel is available. And we are frequently adding 3 groove buttons to our offerings. If you don't see that a 3 groove version is offered in the caliber and twist you're looking for, ask, we might soon be making it.

Thanks for the info velvetant. That barrel sounds right up my alley! The only problem is finding a gunsmith in northwest PA that can be trusted to chamber and headspace it right.

I got an email today from Dan Lilja recommending a gunsmith that is just a short drive away from me. This could all be happening faster than I thought.

IHO, the bullet of choice for killing deer with the .257 Roberts is the 110 AccuBond if you can get the accuracy you want with it. I can in my full length-freebored .257 Roberts with full length magazine, drive a 110 AccuBond at over 3100 fps. Plus, it will not eat barrels at that velocity. The AI version should not be hard on barrels either.

I prefer chrome moly for a cut or button rfiled barrel. The 416 or 440C stn stl is harder to cut straight without galling then chrome moly 4130. Just my $.02.

ScreaminEagle":sgtuhzf1 said:
I got an email today from Dan Lilja recommending a gunsmith that is just a short drive away from me. This could all be happening faster than I thought.

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing the results here.

The gunsmith that Dan Lilja recommended is Neil Jones. Anyone heard of him? Google shows some great things about this guy!

velvetant":1wy6kscy said:
So what did you end up doing?

I haven't done anything yet. I've been so busy getting stuff done my head is gonna explode! I just got my taxes done today. That was an adventure in itself!

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have Neil Jones do the work. I have heard nothing but good things about him. That being said, I don't think i want that #3 contour lilja barrel. I took some measurements yesterday and that is the same contour that is on my rifle now. I'm gonna go bigger. Probably a #4 or #5. Also gonna go with the ackley improved, just cause I've always wanted an AI.

I'll keep everyone posted
Steve

ScreaminEagle":2e6sa9uf said:
Also gonna go with the ackley improved, just cause I've always wanted an AI.

I'll keep everyone posted
Steve

That's as good a reason as any!

Ok guys, I've made up my mind on a few things. Barrel is gonna be a Lilja #5 contour, SS, .257 cal, with a 1-10" twist, and a 3-groove. All on a blueprinted action. That is set in stone. Neil Jones will do the work.

The only thing is, I can't make up my mind on standard 257 Roberts or an AI Bob. I'm thinking AI for cool factor, but would need to buy new redding dies at $250 a set!

Mr. Jones is trying to talk me into getting a tight necked chamber. This means i will have to buy more stuff so i can neck turn the brass. My question is, Will a tight necked gun be that much more accurate? I'm talking a significant difference, not theoretical. What say you?

The standard Bob is no slouch, if you hated it you could always have it set back and AI'ed later. Just a thought. If you go with a tight neck I would assume shooting factory loads in a pinch would not be possible. There are a lot of standard neck guns that shoot lights out, neck turning brass sounds like a PITA. Just my .02. Should be a fun gunto have whichever way you go.

gerry":1ll11l5l said:
The standard Bob is no slouch, if you hated it you could always have it set back and AI'ed later. Just a thought. If you go with a tight neck I would assume shooting factory loads in a pinch would not be possible. There are a lot of standard neck guns that shoot lights out, neck turning brass sounds like a PITA. Just my .02. Should be a fun gunto have whichever way you go.

I'm with Gerry, I would rather stick with normal brass and still have an accurate gun. I bet if its set up like you mention, it'll shoot so well you'll never want for more.

I have a 725 Remington that I had rebarreled to 257 bob with the standard camber in a Douglas XX air guage 26" barrel that will put 5 shoots into 3/8 inches at 100yds with 100gr Sierra game kings. Noughting special done just set back into the original Remington stock with out glass bedding, just floating it to fit the light varmint taper of the new barrel.

I have not got my old beater .257 FN action fully tuned yet but it shoots 5/8's inch groups with the 75 gr BT's at 3395fps. Mine is a full length action with freebore for longer cartridges. Still working on groups for the 110 AccuBond.

Not so much the chamber as accuracy. How much do you want, how much do you need? With a well tuned action and quality barrel, ( which seems to be your goal), 1/2 inch groups should be achievable. Maybe even a little less or more. For a hunting rifle 2 inches will get the job done 99.9% of the time. I personally do not get much gratification out of tinkering with my loading. Having to deal with the tight chamber would be a giant pain, in my asp, for what might be very little gained. Others think differently and I admire them for their craftsmanship and tenacity. But it's not for me. Nuff said!

Practically speaking even most varmit rifles are good to go with 3/4 MOA groups. This is not 200 yard open class benchrest. Hunting accuracy for elk and deer is good at 2 inches. I have 5 rifles that will all shoot sub MOA 90+% of the time for three shot groups. This battery of rifles has never failed me for hunting deer and elk.

I also have the .257 Roberts and the .204 Ruger that are more accurate yet and serve my need for large and smaller varmit rifles. The .204 shoots .5 inch groups with good handloads and controllable wind speed. I do not need better than that. All of this is with very carefully prepared handloads and no special reamers or tight necks to complicate reloading on standard Forster dies. Just my thoughts on this.

Back