I need a new barrel! ( New update)

ScreaminEagle":1ddnv65x said:
The only thing is, I can't make up my mind on standard 257 Roberts or an AI Bob. I'm thinking AI for cool factor, but would need to buy new redding dies at $250 a set!

No need for that much money!

You can get a Lee Collet Neck Sizer for the regular 257 Roberts and use it on the 257AI (says so right on their website, I use a 280 Rem Lee Collet to size the necks on my 280AI). Use the seater that comes with this set or your regualr 257 Roberts seater if it is a better one

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/556895 ... 57-roberts

and the Redding Body Die for when you want to size the case body or push the shoulder back

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/460634 ... e-shoulder

That would be the set I would buy if I were doing one. IMO you can't beat the Lee Collet / Redding Body Die combination no matter how much you spend

BTW the #5 contour seems a little heavy for a small bore like a 257. The bore takes up a smaller percentage of the barrel than say a 308 in a #5

ScreaminEagle":33e649ai said:
Other opinions on a tight necked chamber?

Most of my experience with custom barrels has been with the .308 Win. I've had the chambers cut with what's called the '95 Palma reamer. It's a bit tighter than standard, but still accepts factory ammo. I like that.

Mostly I just neck size using Wilson in-line dies. Now and again I'll full-length size. My .308 loads are at or near max pressure and intended for 600 yard match shooting. The rifle does real well, and has printed 2.5" groups at 600 yards - without a tight neck or neck turning.

I can't always do that - because I'm only human, and because odd things happen to bullets as they travel downrange. The farther they go, the more odd things seem to happen to them. But it's nice to know that the ol' Green Machine can belt 'em in there when I do everything right, and the odd things don't happen.

In other words, based on my experience, I wouldn't bother with a particularly tight-necked chamber, if it requires neck turning.

The .257 AI though does seem super-cool. To me, it just might be worth the price of fancy dies. Am not sure that's the only route to go though. You should be able to get into some .257 AI dies for less than that. OT3 reports velocity from his .257 that's right up there with my .25-06 Rem. Pretty impressive!

I'll second the notion that a #5 barrel might be a bit heavy for a .257 sporter rifle. You can get terrific accuracy from lighter barrel contours.

FWIW, Guy

Thanks Guy,

I'm not gonna have him use a reamer that requires neck turning.
2nd The only reason that i'm going with a #5 contour is that it already wears a #4 factory barrel, and I think i could go one bigger without hurting anything.

ScreaminEagle":150hiwf6 said:
Thanks Guy,

I'm not gonna have him use a reamer that requires neck turning.
2nd The only reason that i'm going with a #5 contour is that it already wears a #4 factory barrel, and I think i could go one bigger without hurting anything.

Good choice..... turning necks is labor intensive, and honestly, tight neck chambers are not worth the trouble! But cleaning up a neck can make it more uniform if done prior to shooting, but even then I doubt you or I or anyone else would see a remarkable difference in group size. Besides it may already be a min. size chamber reamer.

And Ya, the AI is a real improvement to the Roberts...... great choice!

ScreaminEagle":unty6wj1 said:
Don't do it for a hunting rifle. Get the 257 AI standard version. I have a set of 257 AI dies (Redding) that you can buy for $75. My 257 AI is getting turned into something else so the dies will be available.

257 Ackley":3b06jmma said:
ScreaminEagle":3b06jmma said:
Don't do it for a hunting rifle. Get the 257 AI standard version. I have a set of 257 AI dies (Redding) that you can buy for $75. My 257 AI is getting turned into something else so the dies will be available.

Nice! Thanks for the heads up

It's worth the time and effort to locate a really good gunsmith to do the barrel swap. This is probably at least as important as barrel choice. If possible, I'd search for a smith who does work for the competitive shooters... BT

I completely changed gears. Sent and order in to Pac-Nor the other day. Gonna have them rebarrel my gun with a #4, SS super match, 1-10", 3-groove, finished at 26" chambered in 257 Roberts Ackley Improved. I'm sure Neil would have been great, but he seemed to be interested in doing things that I did not want to do, so I bailed. I know Pac-Nor will nail it!
Steve

Yup, never heard of PacNor turning a dud Steve. That sounds like it is going to be an awesome rifle! Can't wait to see pictures. Usually PacNor is pretty quick to, especially in todays time for builders.

Back