I need help please !!!!

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
I dont' think I have ever been this mad at a gun of anysort. I'm shooting a Traditions Evolution. I tried the TC 275 Maxi hunter, the 350 Maxi hunter and the 385 Great Plains. All with 90 gr, 95 gr, and 100 gr of ffg 777. I'm using No.11 Mag caps. I'm lucky if I can hit a 2'x2' box three times at 75 yards. I have been cleaning it after every eight to ten shots, using Bore Butter, I don't know what to do. I was using FFFG 777 and the 275 Maxi Hunters a month ago and they were doing ok. I could hit a pie plat at 75 yards most every time. But I have been told that FFFG is for pistols and that I shouldn't use it in my 50 cal. rifle. I might have to try some pyrodex or something.

Does anybody have any advise or ideas!

Thanks,

Jake

Well in my determination (my wife uses a different word), I went back to using FFFG and the 275 Maxi Hunters, and shot two at 70 yards, about 2-3" apart. Moved it out to 100, and those three make a better group that I got with anything at any range with FFG. Guess that is what I'm going to be using from here on out with this front stuffer.

Glad you worked it out buddy. I'm no use to you with muzzle loaders. Scotty

Jake,

Stay with what works.
Do you know the twist? Wondering it the heavier/longer bullets are not stabilizing.

JD338

I have been shooting triple f powder ( both real black powder, and pyrodex) for 30 years in my 54 caliber TC. Always has shot great. CW

Jim- It's a 1:28 twist. I don't think it is the twist rate, with the FFG they all shot crappy.

I'll just tweak with the FFFG and see if I can get it any better. Right now I wouldn't shoot past 75 yards with it, but I haven't shot it past that yet. I'll get there.

"I was using FFFG 777 and the 275 Maxi Hunters a month ago and they were doing ok. I could hit a pie plat at 75 yards most every time."

A pie plate or a paper plate was all I used most of the time when practicing with my .50 cal traditional muzzle loader. Hitting it every time was the goal, and I could usually make that happen every time at 75 yards.

I used the 385 Great Plains bullet and either black or pyrodex. The combination worked fine, and I took a couple of mule deer with it. T-C bore butter was used too.

Guy

Short barrel, fast twist, 3F is your friend. 2F wouldn't be ruled out if it was me, but I'd go right to 3F were I setting this one up. Try varying bullets and charge volumes and see what happens.

Also, make sure you're seating the bullet as close to the same depth as possible each time. Variance in seat depth is a factor in accuracy.

FFF should be fine for a 50 cal, a 28 twist is basicly for sabots but how bad that should effect conicals is outta my experience realm. I've got a few super accurate loads, but in an inline they are all saboted loads
knight mml 260 gr lead sabots/110 gr of P pyrodex
parker listed above or a TC shockwave (250 gr)/150 gr of pellets (pyro not 777) have taken whitetails to beyond 250 yards with this load, use rws #11 caps, in my 2 rifles it makes 1 ragged hole at 100.
RR

Back