I never thought I'd see the day...

GeorgeS

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
when I bought another Ruger centerfire, let alone what I consider the ugliest rifle they've ever made.

Overall, the external finish is nothing to brag about. For a rifle that lists for $1100, the metal is fairly rough.

The bolt raceways need smoothing out.

The checkering is fairly sharp.

The ability to add spacers to increase LOP comes in handy for this long-limbed galoot.

The trigger pull weight is 62ozs.-66ozs. with no creep and little overtravel.

The stainless model comes with a thread protector for those who don't like the bird cage flash hider. This rifle is going to run suppressed most of the time. :grin:

I've got ideas for optics already, and will have to make final choices this week.

I hope this thing shoots better than it looks (of course, that won't be difficult :mrgreen: ).

Attachments

• Scout1.jpg
    Scout1.jpg
    739 KB · Views: 1,092
  • Scout2.jpg
    Scout2.jpg
    928.2 KB · Views: 1,092
  • Scout5.jpg
    Scout5.jpg
    697.8 KB · Views: 1,092
  • Scout4.jpg
    Scout4.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 1,092
  • Scout6.jpg
    Scout6.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 1,092
  • Scout7.jpg
    Scout7.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,092
That's a lot of money for a (Quote ) ugly rifle (Unquote ). Just kidding George it should do well for what you want it to do.

Ha, ha! I would NEVER pay $1100 for this rifle.
roflmao-o.gif

I found it for $800 NIB.

George

She is hot! :wink: :wink: :wink: Congrats!

I have the blued one, they are fun rifles. I have been waiting for an AAC 300 TM for a long time for it, my Specwar 762 will have to suffice for now.

Yes 308 Jim.

Darn Greeks! Never can tell what they will do next!

Thanks, guys!

It is .308 Win., and has an 18" barrel (not 16.5" like the blued chrome moly versions).

The color is more pleasing than the smartphone photos show, but my good camera was not charged up.

I'm going to shoot it as is first to make certain there is nothing horribly wrong with it, then install the Elite Iron tactical brake which serves as the mount for the Bravo 1 suppressor.

The tentative plan is to put a Trijicon Dual Illuminated RMR in a QD mount on the rail, and a Burris 3x-9x Ballistiic Plex in the conventional position for hunting.

Some .308 brass turned up in my garage, and there might even be dies in there somewhere. I think I'll use 165gr. BTs for antelope and deer; 180gr. Swift A-Frames, 165gr. Nosler E-Tips or Barnex TSX/TTSX for bigger stuff, and 200-220gr. for subsonic activity.

George

Sounds like you have some dry fire/action cycling time in front of the TV to get her slicked up...

Already underway. 300 reps yesterday after taking photos, another 100 today.

It's improved somewhat, but still not as smooth as any of my other rifles.

George

George,

I had a similar situation with my M77 V/T in 22-250 I took some lapping compound and placed it on the rails and lugs and it worked very well and cut the number of cycles down considerably.

Jake

Hopefully I will draw some tags next year and use it to let the air out of something!
:| :mrgreen:

George

George she can be gorgeous!

Look this one is not pretty

but for a 30-30 shooting like this

Very intriguing rifle, and from the other owners who have posted here, they seem to deliver. Congratulations!

George - I do like that rifle. 18" barrel makes more sense to me than the 16 inch version.

Hang a lightweight titanium can on it. Will hardly affect the balance, and the suppressed .308 is a joy to shoot.

I'll be interested in what you do for optics.

I'd like that as a patrol rifle, particularly if I was out in the county, where a fellow might just need a rifle that can deliver at range.

Guy

Fotis,

Now that you've got that .30-30 shooting well, can we expect to see it in the Classifieds? :lol:

Guy,

I've already got the can (the Elite Iron Bravo 1 I use on my .300 BLK). It's heavy but I don't feel like waiting for another stamp.

For optics, I'm going to mount a Trijiconm Dual-Illuminated RMR in a QD mount on the rail, and a Burris Fullfield II Illuminated Ballistic Plex 3x-9x in the conventional location for open-country hunting.

If I use it in timber, I have a Leupold Vari-X III 1.75x-6x sitting on the shelf. 8)

Now, I just have to find .308 dies for it.

George

3 optics for one gun, I thought I had it bad :) like the Leupold and the Burris FF II is definitely underrated.

Back