I tried the flat spot load development

Thanks jimbires. I'm going to be trying out this method...simple, quick and makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Wildcat":1h9l69tz said:
Thanks jimbires. I'm going to be trying out this method...simple, quick and makes a lot of sense.

It sure makes finding a load easier! And welcome to the forum!

I just recently used this method to help find an accurate load for a custom 7WSM. I shot each round at .3gr higher charge than the previous round and carefully recorded the hits on paper at 200yds. Each round was shot over an Oehler 35P.

Interestingly enough, the bullets that showed the least velocity variation were the farthest apart on the target. I was hoping that the opposite would be realized.

This is the method I will be using at a 300 yard ladder test this weekend for the 160 AB out of the 7 Mag. Will post results soon.

Charlie-NY":7ap4nkxf said:
I just recently used this method to help find an accurate load for a custom 7WSM. I shot each round at .3gr higher charge than the previous round and carefully recorded the hits on paper at 200yds. Each round was shot over an Oehler 35P.

Interestingly enough, the bullets that showed the least velocity variation were the farthest apart on the target. I was hoping that the opposite would be realized.

Doesn't really matter where they hit Charlie, at least in my limited experience of two guns doing it. You're just looking for the spot where speed is relatively unaffected. I actually just shot the MSM out back into some old stumps just to record speeds. I know it's crazy to not care where they hit on the paper but the dude that got us started stated over and over nothing matters but the speed. Pretty reputable shooter in the PRS shooting stuff. Dewey told me and I blindly followed his instructions and so far it's been pretty easy.

I did have to tweak the seating depth a little with one gun though but so far they have been super consistent with their loads on a couple trips to the range. I like that.

Back