Idaho Mule Deer Down

idahohunter8

Beginner
May 7, 2015
Back from 8 days of Mule Deer and Elk in the Central Idaho. This is our annual Idaho General Tag, DIY hunt. The elk didn't cooperate this year, but the deer did.

My wife is not picky at all and was happy to take this nice spike on the second day. Made a great shot at 161 yards with the trusty .270 shooting 129 gr. Barnes LRX. DRT/

I passed up a bunch of smaller bucks and even a couple bigger bucks (not realizing that was a mistake at the time :roll: ) but was happy to take this nice 4 point on the second to last day.

There is just something special about the 270 and so I left my Ultra Mag at camp and took this buck with the same Trusty 270, 129gr. Barnes load. This rifle is a Winchester 70 Super Grade Action, timney trigger, 25" Shilen #3 barrel, McMillan Stock, Talleys, and a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. Over the years it has 2 barrels, 2 stocks, and 3 scopes, but it has always produced and is unfailing everytime. These two deer are the 19th and 20th big game animals it has taken.

Thanks

Attachments

• deer2016.jpg
    deer2016.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 784
  • deer20162.jpg
    deer20162.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 784
Great hunt! I wish I could get my own pretty girl to hunt with me! Mine would rather be in the Mall, ha!

That is a great hunt. Congratulations to you and your wife. We've all passed on animals because we thought we could do better, only to settle for a lesser specimen. It was still a successful hunt, shared with someone you love. Excellent!

Looks like a perfect hunt to me. Hopefully your luck held and you were able to slide those deer down that steep hill all the way to the truck:) congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deer will often just lay down and die when a .270 is pointed in their general direction................just out of respect for the cartridge................... :>)

c. schutte":dhusmn2x said:
Deer will often just lay down and die when a .270 is pointed in their general direction................just out of respect for the cartridge................... :>)

Or from laughter. (y) Do not confuse the sarcasm of a mule deer with resignation. Yes, yes, I witnessed many of these fine Cervidae when confronted with a 270 lie down. Tears are streaming from their eyes, their mouth drawn into a wide grin and their hooves pounding the ground as they gasp for breath. This is immediately before they bound off, leaving the hunter confused and bedazed. Deer are known for their sarcasm when hunted with a .270 Winchester. You have to use heavy weaponry, Charles. That is the reason you built a 9.3X64, if I recall correctly.

Please excuse the brief hijack......

Or from laughter. (y) Do not confuse the sarcasm of a mule deer with resignation. Yes, yes, I witnessed many of these fine Cervidae when confronted with a 270 lie down. Tears are streaming from their eyes, their mouth drawn into a wide grin and their hooves pounding the ground as they gasp for breath. This is immediately before they bound off, leaving the hunter confused and bedazed. Deer are known for their sarcasm when hunted with a .270 Winchester.

Classic!
Dr Mike, I type this on a sticky keyboard from the Coca-Cola that I was drinking as i read your comments on the ubiquitous 270. Anyone have a quickk solution for the removal of Coke from computer keyboards and monitors?

OP,
Congrats on a fine hunt and nice brace of deer!

I am so sorry for the sticky keyboard. You weren't contemplating using a .270 at that moment, were you?

Back