If I Could Add One Rifle to My Safe...

Just one as in now, or just one more and no more....? I would have a breakdown if I had to choose only 1 more with no more... I have the same philosophy as JD.. I gotta long ways before I fill up safes the way the wifely fills up shoe bins....

My next project as of today, is turning my 6AI into a 6BR. However, if I were to have more money than my concience allows this 6BR would have a MCM MBR stock, a BAT MB, Krieger 30" with a NBR 12x42 to match my Russo/Baer stocked 6.5-06 AI. But since I dont dare buy gun parts like chicks and shoes. I'll be very happy to just rebarrel my 700 VLS 6AI with a new 28" Krieger in 6BR..

Then on to rebarreling my LSS in 7RM....

Rod

I would say a 300 RUM. I finlly shot one it was a remington 700 sps the recoil wasn't that bad just a little more than a 7 mag now I need to find some spare cash.

Well... I think I pretty much have evry thing covered with the purchase of my Rem 700 270 WSM.

So if I could only add one more gun it would have to be something long range ish. Got to shoot Remingtonmans 338 edge and really liked that a lot! I would more than likely go with something like that, with a 30" tube. It would be pretty heavy, I wouldn't plan on using it for packing around. It would be more of a spot and ambush type of rifle. One of these years I'm going to draw my elk tag and would love to be able to take the bull of a life time with a gun like this. My 338 would still be my primary elk gun for sure, but there are some things a 8.5 pound 338 WM just can't or shouldn't do.

I would like a nice custom (nothing too fancy) rifle with a 24" barrel in about the 6 to 6 1/2 pound range in .35whelen. A good gun for the mountains where shots will be under 200 yards.

Mine would probably surprise most of you, but it would be a Stainless-Steel T/C Encore. As per the chambering it would more than likely end up being a .270 Win or .30-06. However the barrel would not be a T/C, but would prefer a On Target Technologies 24" Factory Contour Custom Barrel made from a Douglas XX Blank. In my opinion this would make a nice compact package while still having a 24" Barrel (all that is needed in my opinion for either a .270 or .30-06). Then again with a T/C Encore the next cartridge is only a barrel away.

Larry

Thank you for the 280 Ross write up!! Seems like a dandy cartridge for back in its day. Heck even today its still a good cartridge if put in a good rifle.

Outside of a Remington 700 actioned .260, I would really like a pair of matched rifles... Winchester M70 CRF actions, McMillan stocks - not sure which pattern - in .280 Ackley (24" PacNor barrel) and .338-06 Improved (23" PacNor barrel). Add Leupold VX II Long Range Duplex scopes on both, and I would have no need for any other N.A big game rifle.

Not that it wold stop me from wanting more...

Remingtonman,

There are some dandy rifles chambered in some exciting cartridges that are virtually unknown to many of us. The .280 Ross was an exceptional rifle, perhaps ahead of its time. But, then, it is not the only rifle that was ahead of its time. That is the reason we have the threads describing wildcatting, because there are still cartridges waiting to be discovered. Moreover, if we have not loaded for a particular cartridge, when we acquire it, it is new and exciting for us. It is part of the wonder of handloading. I have discovered that I have a bottomless capacity to desire a rifle (almost any rifle), and a finite capacity to scratch that itch. Nevertheless, some are very attractive, perhaps because of rarity and/or romantic notions.

Russ,

Don't want to reignite a debate, but would that be 375 Ruger or 375 H & H.

If I could have any sporting rifle it would be a Dakota single shot made by Miller Arms.The caliber? probably .270 win

Back in Febuary at a gun auction in Edmonton they sold a nostalgic .280 ross, It may have been used in ww1, it had a brass plate with a regiment and unit # on the R.H. side of the butt plate. The straight pull bolt looked worn out, and I'd have been scared to fire it, both dad and I thought it would be nice piece of history to own . It sold fairly high over $700 Can. to much for me for just a conversation piece. The 1 rifle I will be adding to the safe someday, hopefully not any time soon, is the rifle my granpa passed down to my dad. which will be passed on to me which will be passed on to my kids. It's a turn of the century breech lock, heavy barrelled target rifle in 32-40 win. It hasn't been fired since the late 50's when granpa still used it. we still have an orginal box of DOMINION 32-40 ammo. I think they are loaded with blackpowder. It's an awesome heirloom, and piece of our family' s history.

Super-7,

That will be a neat rifle to receive one day. I have seen several of the Ross rifles in 280 on Gunbroker.com selling in the range of $1300 to $1500. They are not terribly high priced, but somewhat rare. Living in Canada, it is difficult to obtain one through the sates--difficult, but not impossible as there are business who will do the paperwork for a fee. It does add to the cost of doing business, and I may just go that way yet.

Eureka! I've found it :grin:

358 BOS MAGNUM
Nominal performance:
225 gr. bullet. Muzzle Velocity 3700 FPS. Muzzle Energy 6843 FPE.
Based on the 378 WBY. This Mega T-REX round will float like a butterfly and sting like a astroid. I just need to find out who can do the work. 28 " stainless fluted barrel with a muzzle brake proportional to a M60 tank with a 155MM Howitzer barrel. :shock:
Any Ideas???
Greg

DrMike.
Now go look at what you started :roll:
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

nitis":jbx0d633 said:
M700 LSS 257 Wby

that is one that catches my eye also since I have a matching 270 wsm

I have been looking at one lately also....... but I do not trust Remington for accuracy anymore, My last 4 rems have been lemons. Super sour lemons.

Greg Nolan":29yre82m said:
Eureka! I've found it :grin:

358 BOS MAGNUM
Nominal performance:
225 gr. bullet. Muzzle Velocity 3700 FPS. Muzzle Energy 6843 FPE.
Based on the 378 WBY. This Mega T-REX round will float like a butterfly and sting like a astroid. I just need to find out who can do the work. 28 " stainless fluted barrel with a muzzle brake proportional to a M60 tank with a 155MM Howitzer barrel. :shock:
Any Ideas???
Greg

DrMike.
Now go look at what you started :roll:
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

There's actually a wildcat of that variation in existence already. It's called the 357-378RG, and you can read more about it here, including where to get a reamer and so forth:

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar31.htm

The guy who runs the site has gone a bit off the deep end since this was written, but he did a good job with this build.

I do not trust Remington for accuracy anymore, My last 4 rems have been lemons. Super sour lemons.

POP,

Interesting that you say that. I've noticed something similar. I hope it is only a phase and not an indication of management decisions that are playing out in loss of quality.

358 BOS MAGNUM

Greg,

Where do you hunt T-REX? Wasn't aware that Washington had a season!

POP - hope you just had a string of bad luck, as I am getting my 270 WSM next week! If I can't get it to shoot by september I'm sending it to a smith to get the action trued and we'll see what happens. I'm really thinking that I should be able to get it to shoot though.

Back