If you were going to build a rifle for Africa what caliber?

I have so often considered turning my M1917 into a bigger rifle... But, I do like it as a .30-06 so much....

Guy

Guy Miner":25dkwzfm said:
I have so often considered turning my M1917 into a bigger rifle... But, I do like it as a .30-06 so much....

Guy

Find a gunshow sporterized one for a donor.

Guy Miner":2lndls5q said:
1100 Remington Man":2lndls5q said:
I would just take my 300 H&H Mag Model 70 as I would not be hunting the Big Five.

Classic! (y)

add a 375 H & H and you would need nothing else. These two rifles will let you hunt everything in Africa, and anywhere else in the world for that matter.

Plus, as mentioned earlier in this thread. If you only had those two rifles you would have more money for hunting expeditions.

And they are OLD Nathan LOL

Just a thought from the peanut gallery

Best Regards

Jamila

Myself would be a 416 Rem on a 700 action , heavier barrel contour #4-5 finished at 21" with a Vias muzzle brake.
Wildcat , B&C,or Mcmillan stock depending on availability.
Quick detach scope and good irons as a back up. That's what I'd want for dangerous game.
Plains game I'd bring my 300 Weatherby, a good 180 bonded bullet or the 200 gr PT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Africa Huntress":2n1g4e78 said:
Guy Miner":2n1g4e78 said:
1100 Remington Man":2n1g4e78 said:
I would just take my 300 H&H Mag Model 70 as I would not be hunting the Big Five.

Classic! (y)

add a 375 H & H and you would need nothing else. These two rifles will let you hunt everything in Africa, and anywhere else in the world for that matter.

Plus, as mentioned earlier in this thread. If you only had those two rifles you would have more money for hunting expeditions.

And they are OLD Nathan LOL

Just a thought from the peanut gallery

Best Regards

Jamila

I was going to say "You might have to check with Jamila and see if the 300 H&H is old enough to be used in Africa" :lol: :mrgreen:

Idaho CTD, I have a .404 Jeffery, that I hope to take to Africa.
My .404 is the top one in this image, the other .404, is a Mate/customers rifle.
DSCN0559.JPG

My light gun, would probably be a .338 Win Mag?

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

What action is that built on Homer? It's nice looking rifle.

I got my 338 and 375 Brux barrels today along with the 375 Ruger reamer. Now I have no excuse not to finish the 375 Ruger. BTW a .375 caliber light Palma with a .750" muzzle at 26" finish is lighter than a .338 caliber #5+ with a .725" muzzle diameter by a couple ounces.

Back