Illinois Senator Response on "Gun Control"

trsmith1818

Beginner
Jul 17, 2011
Hey Guys,

Just want to copy/paste the response i got from one Senator DICK Durbin after I wrote him an email about my support for the 2nd Amendment. Those of us in IL need to vote him out of office ASAP!

Dear Mr. Smith:

Thank you for contacting me about gun violence prevention. I appreciate hearing from you.

Americans are entitled to own and use guns responsibly. The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution guarantees this right. In 2008, in the case of District of Columbia v. Heller, the Supreme Court struck down the District’s handgun ban and affirmed Second Amendment rights. However, the Court also noted in its decision that Second Amendment rights are subject to reasonable limitations.

Within this context, we must work to pursue policies and enforce existing laws to protect Americans from becoming victims of gun violence. Strong penalties for violent crimes involving firearms should be part of any effort to reduce gun violence. I have consistently supported tough crime control and prevention initiatives since coming to Congress.

I support efforts that address illegal possession and use of firearms. Common sense restrictions such as bans on multi-round magazines and assault weapons are supported by law enforcement officials who patrol our streets. I also support universal background checks to prevent the transfer of firearms without a background check by non-licensed gun sellers.

We must institute common-sense limits, such as barring those with a history of mental instability, those with a history of violent crime or who are subject to restraining orders, and those whose names have been placed on a terrorist watch list from owning weapons. Straw purchasers and gun dealers should face firm penalties. There should be limits on how many firearms may be purchased in one month. Those who own firearms that are within the reach of children should have protective locks on their weapons.

Although we may disagree on this issue, I will keep your thoughts in mind as the Senate considers gun violence prevention measures. I will continue to uphold the right to bear arms and do not seek to diminish the ability of Americans to do so. We must strike a balance between protecting our constitutional rights and preventing senseless acts of violence that have led to the loss of countless lives in Illinois and across America.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please feel free to stay in touch.

Sincerely,
Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator

That reads almost verbatim to the letter that I got from Senator Maria Cant(do)well from Washington state. What do we have to do to convince these loose cannons that they represent us, not themselves!

A reasonable limitation is not letting everyone mount a maw deuce on their car, not banning a 30 round magazine in a semi-auto.

The funny thing is that most of these suck ups and brown-nosers to the President do not even know what an assault weapon looks like and what it really is!!!!! Jocko the President obviously thinks it is a machine gun! Nor do they realize that even in-da-Hood, assault rifles are only used for less than 3% of crimes. If these "Elected Representatives" would quit playing follow know-nothing-the-President and find their critical thinking skills, they might think this through and get the right answer?
I think that a "reasonable limitation" for us might be to elect someone who knows his ass from his elbow to Congress and the Senate.

OT3. Until sometime around 1960, give or take a year, the state of California considered the M1 Carbine a machine gun. IIRC, any semi-auto that took a magazine with more than 5 rounds was also classes as a machine gun., .22LRs excluded. It sure woundn't take those yahoos more than two seconds to all declare any semi a machine gun, even though they aren't.
My thought are plenty of hot tar, feathers and a splintery rail. :x
Paul B.

Of course pointy-nosed Senator Feinstein is of the finest tradition of Californiated idiot politicians. I lived in California for about 15 years starting in 1972 and I really liked Northern Caifornia but even back then, the politicians were creating a business unfriendly wasteland in the state. A shame really! Tar and feathers would be too good for them!

Back