Illuminated reticle low-powered scope choice

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
I am looking into a scope to eventually pair with the 45-70 I am going to have. I at first looked at the Trijicon, but wanted to know what else is out there.

Would like it to be under 6x, a 1-4x would be ideal. Illuminated german or duplex reticle as well. Either a 30mm or 1 inch tube.

What do you all recommend?

This caught my eye:
http://www.bushnell.com/hunting/rifle-s ... 4a-w-illum

Leupold makes a couple nice scopes that fit that requirement. I had a vx3 1-5 illuminated reticle on a 375 and later a 458 Lott. It was a really nice scope. They also have the Vxr series of scopes that has a 1-4

Have you looked at a scout scope for the 45-70? I have one on my Marlin GBL and I love it.

I gotta agree with wayno. Set up with peeps and a scout scope is hard to beat.
gun003.jpg

I will take a close look at the VXR. I think I saw one at my local Bass Pro, and if its still there i will take a peek through it.

Now, some of you mentioned a scout scope. I think if I mounted an optic in the scout position, I would lean towards a red dot of some type; something like an EO Tech . Anyone have any experience with this?
http://www.eotech-inc.com/products/sights/xps2

I have one on my ar15. I like it but think the leupy scout scope is probably more useful for most big game hunting. Crosshairs are always "on ".
zubupa4u.jpg

Look at the Leupold VX 3 and the VXR series.
My buddy has a Trijicon on his ML and it is pretty nice but
it doesn't work when sitting in a dark deer blind.

JD338

I have tried damned near every 1-x out there for both 3 gun and hunting use.

Very few do both well.
I would suggest either the VXR 1-25-4 or Trijicon both with a #4 reticle.

I am a Leupold guy :wink: we just placed a VX-R 4-12 X 42mm on his 270win. He had a new Minox on it for last season. He stated Minox was nice but he believes the Leupold is a step higher.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":1djo83tk said:
He had a new Minox on it for last season. He stated Minox was nice but he believes the Leupold is a step higher.

Blessings,
Dan

Inform him that I forgive him this singular indiscretion, Dan.

ccoker":285k0a2w said:

Very few do both well.

The 1.25x4 VXR is a darned good scope on my 45-70. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. They are alot of scope for the money.

SJB358":3ve5kv0o said:
ccoker":3ve5kv0o said:

Very few do both well.

The 1.25x4 VXR is a darned good scope on my 45-70. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. They are alot of scope for the money.

After seeing your post about the VXR on your 45-70, and tracking one down and looking at it, I was smitten. As soon as I can get the extra money, I will have one.

Back