I'm Having Trouble Keeping Up

I'm chuckling, Bruce. Reloading components have taken over my library! (I did transfer almost all my books, plus about 10K more, to my computer, so it wasn't too (sob!) difficult to give my thousands of volumes to a young man who had trained under me.) My wife doesn't complain, but she does give me that look and shake her head whenever she ventures into the inner sanctum where I perform my alchemical feats on brass and lead and powder.

Bruce Mc":q14viizl said:
I hear ya Dr. I haven't even begun to think about the possibilities of 4451 in the .257 Roberts or .243win. Then I need to work up a .30-06 load with 165 partitions and 115 partitions in the .25-06. But what the heck, its all fun. The only problems is I can't shoot enough to use up all the new powder and I'm running out of room in the refrigerator I keep the powder in.

4451 is dang near grain for grain with H4350 in the both the 243 and 30-06. Have shot it in both and equal speeds with 90 Scirroco in .243 @ 3,050 and 150 AB in 30-06 @ 2,988

You guys haven't seen any real workups with 4955 yet have you? I have 5 lbs of it sitting here. Supposed to be similar to 4831.
I have the Hodgdon recent publication but haven't actually shot any.

SJB358":i1jhvmqe said:
I'll make sure I give that RL16 a try just as soon as I find it for you Mike :grin:
Distributors are saying sometime in June.
One of the main attributes R16 is supposed to have over R15 is the lack of temp sensitivity. Most guys that use R15 for their 6 BR variations find that loads pushed close to max in cooler temps will be a problem when the temps get into the 80's+. Varget is one of the worst carbon foulers out there, but it is consistent at any temp and doesn't require you to find a lower volume accuracy node.

IMR 4451 may be what most have to go to in place of H4350 if Hodgdon doesn't start finding a way to slip a few extra containers of powder on the ships coming from Australia. I haven't seen an 8 lb jug of H4350 locally or on-line in a long time.

I wish someone would have convinced me 23 years ago that W748 was the best powder for my 223 varmint rifle. I eventually got there on my own, but....

I suspect there is that "one" powder for nearly every cartridge/bullet combo (like H110 with 265gr bullets in the 44 Mag).

I have a large powder inventory but can't help trying to find accurate loads with the new copper eliminating, temperature stable powders that are coming out. If I can find accurate loads I'll give all the old time favorites away.
Times are changing. :>)

Charlie-NY":1r2bqi3v said:
I have a large powder inventory but can't help trying to find accurate loads with the new copper eliminating, temperature stable powders that are coming out. If I can find accurate loads I'll give all the old time favorites away.
Times are changing. :>)

Ain't that the truth! (y)

I have burnt a pound of CFE223 which is suppose to reduce copper fowling and it didn't cut down on the copper fowling or make it easier to clean the bore in my 35AI. The bore in that barrel draws copper like a magnet.

Back