Rifle Types...

Ahhh, as everyone else, over the years I've had many different Rifles/shotguns/handguns. Presently a Christensen Arms .300WM, a Remington 700 short action Titanium in 7MM-08 (my all around deer rifle, will never part with it). A Rem 700 .338RUM that is the best damn Elk Rifle I've ever owned. My EDC P365 and a P229. a 12 Ga Mossberg 535 that is the Duck gun par excellence. My old Ruger Red label 20 gauge that has taken more snipe and grouse than I can remember and a number of other favorites that I still use.

There are precisely four types of rifles:
- Those I own
- Those I own, but wish I didn't
- Those I don't own, but wish I did
- Those I don't own, and am glad I don't

Favorite action? Lever. Why? Because America. That's why.

I was a one-rifle guy until I met all of you. Now I'm a one-rifle guy with three rifles (all bolt).

B
TNBillyEarl, If you keep reading this forum, the problem only gets worse. I was similar to you - a two rifle guy. Since starting on the forum, I am up to five - and that is AFTER selling two! :giggle:

The posters on here are enablers - THANK GOODNESS! :)

LEVERS 4 sure! 1st 1 was a rossi92, then a blr in 270win, then won an 1895 in a 4H raffle, then bought another just to have 2.
Now if I could have a 45-70 (not 450m) in a blr I'd be a happy camper.

TNBillyEarl, If you keep reading this forum, the problem only gets worse. I was similar to you - a two rifle guy. Since starting on the forum, I am up to five - and that is AFTER selling two! :giggle:

The posters on here are enablers - THANK GOODNESS! :)
I remember when I had five...

Of course, now I have zero. Damn boating trips; seems like I lose one every time I go out.

There are precisely four types of rifles:
- Those I own
- Those I own, but wish I didn't
- Those I don't own, but wish I did
- Those I don't own, and am glad I don't

Favorite action? Lever. Why? Because America.
I would have to add the ones I got rid of and wish I had back. Dan.

"I remember when I only had five .300 Maggies. lol"

I have five .300 Win. Mags as well, four of which are Ruger #1s.

I guess when it comes down to favorite type of rifles, I place my Ruger #1s and customs based on genuine Mauser actions tied for first place. If push came to shove and one of the other would have to go, I think it would be the Number Ones that stayed. Yes, I have hunted with them. My problem is I'll buy a gun, shoot it a but and stick it in the safe and forget about it. FWIW, I never needed an enabler. I did well enough along those lines all by my self.
One gun that will never go however is a plain old Winchester 1894 in .30 WCF (30-30) that belonged to my Great Grandfather. I'll never sell that one.
Paul B.

I still get along with two bolt actions and a few shotguns. Ok - and my girlfriend's rifle and shotgun.
Though being here for some time, I still resist the " I need..." Virus.
Though there is a list...

I like to keep things simple, and to not have an overabundance of "things" in my life. One of this one of that, maybe two of these...

HOWEVER - this hasn't applied to rifles! Oh heck, every few years I end up selling rifles, because I get overwhelmed with how many have crept into the gun safe... I swear, they follow me home!

Have often told myself that all I really need is three, maybe four, bolt action rifles in a variety of cartridges from small to large... And I have that. But then, I have more. Sigh.

Lever Action - I started shooting with a little .22 Marlin 39m, the "Mountie" version of the Marlin 39A. Great little rifle, and Dad still has it & uses it from time to time. I managed to get my own Marlin 39A some years ago and it's still my all time favorite rifle. Then there were a series of lever actions, mostly Marlins, but had a cool 30-30 Winchester 94 for a while. Although it would be real easy for me to splurge on more lever actions, I've successfully limited myself to three Marlins: the .22, the 30-30 Glenfield, and the 45-70 1895. That seems to be "enough." for me. I think.

Single Shot - I've always been intrigued by single shot rifles! Don't have a lot of them, I truly wish I'd never sold or traded several different Ruger Number One rifles over the years. For a while, they were inexpensive on the used market here, and I guess I thought they always would be readily available at a lowish price. Nope. So now I have two, the 375 and the 7mm Rem Mag. Both look good, handle great, and shoot well. Yes, I hunt with them! Well, I have with the 375, the 7 will start hunting this year. And there's an old 11.7mm Danish rolling block that I enjoy too - though it's a bit of a chore to handload it. I'd like some more single shots, but... don't "need" any more, and don't use the ones I have enough as it is. I wouldn't mind a T/C rifle or two, those break-open types.

Bolt Action - this is where I've gone kinda nuts. There's examples of both Winchester & Remington. Ruger too. Quite a few have come and gone over the years, chambered for various cartridges. Oh, there's a CZ here as well... Mine range from .22 rimfire & .204 Ruger up to the 375 H&H, surely enough to cover all hunting I could ever contemplate! And there are a couple that I consider more target rifles rather than hunting rifles.

Semi-Auto - I don't have many semi-auto rifles, just the AR-15. Probably because I carried AR-15 & M-16 type critters for work, for most of the last 40 years.

Slide/Pump Action - don't have any. Like 'em, particularly the 30-06 & 35 Whelen Remington pumps... :) Have successfully resisted buying one.

I am once again feeling kind of overwhelmed by the number of rifles in my safe. I mean - how many rifles do I need to hunt deer for a few days every year?

I dunno… What's your favorite action type and why?

Guy

“Slide/Pump Action - don't have any. Like 'em, particularly the 30-06 & 35 Whelen Remington pumps... :) Have successfully resisted buying one.”

This needs to be rectified. Here’s what is currently available on GunJoker. I’m always willing to help you spend your booty. 🤣 Aaaaaarrrerggggg I’m sounding like a bloody pirate.

Vince

“Slide/Pump Action - don't have any. Like 'em, particularly the 30-06 & 35 Whelen Remington pumps... :) Have successfully resisted buying one.”

This needs to be rectified. Here’s what is currently available on GunJoker. I’m always willing to help you spend your booty. 🤣 Aaaaaarrrerggggg I’m sounding like a bloody pirate.

Vince
Those sellers are proud of their rifles.

Back