IMR 7828 SSC scores another hit in the .270 Win.

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
After the good groups I achieve using IMR 7828 ssc with the 140 gr. AB, the 150 gr. CTBST, and the 150 gr. LRAB, I decided to try it with the 140 gr. BT. The target is shown below. I just arbitraily chose the length as about the maximum which will reliably work in the action. The OAL of 3.390" provides about .035" bullet jump.

The second group is with 140 gr. AB. Previously, I had a really great group using the IMR 7828 ssc. This load utilizes once fired NORMA brass vs. NOSLER brass and 1/2 gr. less powder. Again, the OAL was pretty much just a guess trying to get a .060" bullet jump. This group isn't as tight as the earlier test but is stll very promising.

I think both loads would benefit from tweaking the OAL a little.

Three things I find interesting about these (and previous)groups are:

1. The 140 BT are slower than the 140 AB with the same load. I had the same result with the RL22 powder. I don't understand why the 140 BT would be slower than the 140 gr. AB.

2. Loads with the partial full length resized Norma brass are faster than a similar load with Nosler brass. I was thinking the brass might yield similar results. It turns out the partial full length resized Nosler brass yields results more similar to NEW Norma brass but not Partial full length resized Norma brass.

3. The speeds with partial full length resized Norma brass are significantly faster than a similar load with NEW Norma brass. I wasn't expecting than much difference.

Attachments

• 04-28-14-Target.jpg
    04-28-14-Target.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,978
Been watching your progress with loading your 270 Win, IMR 7828 ssc is definitely an excellent powder. You have a bunch of great loads to choose from now.

Decisions, decisions. You have some great decisions to make. Great dilemma. Superb load and some fine shooting.

Nice looking groups! I have some 7828 SSC and some 140 AB's for my .270 Win. I will have to look into this load.

If they shoot, I reckon the 150g ABLR may well be the best all round big game bullet when fired at 2900+ from the 270 Win.

3000fps shouldn't be a stretch in a 24 inch barrel for the speed demons.

Lots of good choices for 270 shooters.

OP, nice shooting. You got a good rifle there.

DrMike":lxlzfokv said:
Decisions, decisions. You have some great decisions to make. Great dilemma. Superb load and some fine shooting.

Last year I had inconsistent results with 150 gr LRAB so it take me a lot of testing to get comfortable with them. I am hoping that the new competition seating die will help my loads be more consistent. When I am completely finished with the 140 AB I will go back to work with the 150 LRAB.

Right now my preferred choice for hunting WT on my property would be the 150 gr CTBST since it carries good energy at 400-500 yards and will still expand good. I want to be prepared for the long shot from the back porch. However, that bullet is backordered until who knows when.

I want to have the 140 AB as a good all-around bullet if I ever get to hunt anywhere else. I am thinking it would be good for black bear, caribou, mule deer, and would work (in a pinch) on an elk.

The 140 gr BT is just for fun although I wouldn't hesitate to use it on WT here in NY.

We will just have to see where I am with all of these bullets come November.

Loads can demand a lot of attention to get them just as we want them. The 150 grain BST will be an excellent load, assuming you are able to secure a good supply in timely fashion. The 140 grain AB should be a great load for bigger game, working just as well on WT. There is no question but that the 140 grain BT will work great on WT. I have used the 140 grain BST on deer from my .280 for many years. Similar velocities and similar effect as to that you will observe with your .270.

Back