IMR4350 vs. H4350

MaineGuide35

Beginner
Mar 19, 2011
Do these two powders have the same burn rates? Are they the same type powders made by two different companies or am I way off here? I see alot of you using H4350 and don't see much IMR.

Depends on what you can get maybe, the burn rates are a little different (at least they used to be). I always liked IMR4350 better myself but that's just what my rifles liked most.

In most cases IMR powders are faster the Hodgdon's powders.
In all of these cases IMR is faster.

Althought they are similar, IMR4350 does have a slightly faster burn rate. If you subsitute IMR4350 for your max H4350 loads you can expect to loose a few primers.

MaineGuide35,

You really can't mix and match powders that have similar numbers (Accurate, IMR, Hodgdon). While they may be similar in burn rate, they should not be assumed to be identical in burn rate. Moreover, burn rate is relative and dependent in some measure on the charge itself and the weight of the projectile. It is a good plan in the early stages of hand loading to follow the recipe provided by reputable loaders. It is a good bet that the data provided by bullet manufacturers and by powder manufacturers and distributors will have been pressure tested.

MainGuide35,

The primer pocket enlarges from excessive pressure and the primers no longer hold pressure, permitting hot gases to escape, jetting out a matter of inches in front of your eyes.

DrMike":2crnw5d2 said:
MainGuide35,

The primer pocket enlarges from excessive pressure and the primers no longer hold pressure, permitting hot gases to escape, jetting out a matter of inches in front of your eyes.
Nice.....I'll watch for that. Thanks

It is not a pleasant experience. Hot gases a few inches from your face is somewhat unnerving. It is best to avoid creating conditions that lead to high pressure or pocket failure.

Back