IMR4831

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I have a jug of IMR4831 I had bought last year, thinking to use it for the 7mm and 300 Win Mag once I run out of RL22, I have about a pound left. Wondering if you folks had good experiences with IMR4831 in the 7mm / 30 magnum cartridges.

I worked up one load with IMR4831 in my 7mm RM, and it worked well. I didn't stay with it, however, because I was using H870 and some other slower powders at the time. IMR4831 worked very well in each of the 280s for which I have loaded. There is no reason why IMR4831 would not work for you in both the 7RM and in the 300WM.

I have a jug of IMR4831 I had bought last year, thinking to use it for the 7mm and 300 Win Mag once I run out of RL22, I have about a pound left. Wondering if you folks had good experiences with IMR4831 in the 7mm / 30 magnum cartridges.

Hodgdon's online reloading data center has the IMR powders now too.

And yes, I used IMR 4831 happily in years past. Good stuff in the 25-06 and the 7mm Rem Mag for me.

Regards, Guy

300 Win Mag
IMR 4831 @ 70.5
180 Nosler Part
WLRM and WW brass
Excellent and very accurate

Very close to H4350......a tad slower in my experience. Not very temperature stable.

A few years ago I gave IMR4831 a good test in my 7mm Rem. Magnum. I tested up to the max. loads according to the Nosler loading tables. All loads shot good at max. So I backed it off 2 grains and loaded some hunting rounds. I shot a doe and couldn't lift the bolt. A soft rubber hammer fixed that so I tried again. Same thing.
This wasn't the first time I tried it. A few years earlier I had worked up some under max. loads for the 7mm and the 7X57. From day to day it behaved different so I didn't use it. I don't trust it. So I didn't use it anymore.
I use IMR 4350 for my 7mm, 300wm and find it extremely accurate and deadly at long range.

That's interesting, especially with the 7MM Mag. I've read from several sources that the .243 Win. and 7MM Rem. Mag. were cartridges most prone to have problems with Secondary Explosion Effect, (S.E.E) also called Deflagration To Detonation . (D.D.T.) Also called Pressure Excursion Phenomenon. (P.E.P.). Just thre names regarding the same subject. A weird potentially gun destroying action where a normally safe load has a sudden high rise in pressure.

Reducing that load two grains probably shouldn't have created that problem but considering that the cartridge does have a bit of a reputation of giving problems with S.E.E., I wouldn't discount that that happened. You never know.
Paul B.

I've loaded many upon many rounds for people for a myriad of reasons amd if applicable the two powders I always start with are IMR 4350 and IMR 4831.
IMO they're two of the most versatile and forgiving powders out there.
Most times either of those two produce tremendous accuracy with nary room for improvement with the platform used and or the shooters limitations.

I've loaded many upon many rounds for people for a myriad of reasons amd if applicable the two powders I always start with are IMR 4350 and IMR 4831.
IMO they're two of the most versatile and forgiving powders out there.
Most times either of those two produce tremendous accuracy with nary room for improvement with the platform used and or the shooters limitations.
IMR 4350 and H4831 for me. I feel the H4831 recipe is a little more forgiving in different temperature ranges.

Tested the 150 Ballistic Tips out of the 7 Mag, using new Nosler brass. .3 increments from 67.8 to 68.7 produced .5 MOA @ 100 yards. I have roughly 20 pieces to fireform. It's sufficient for me to hunt with until all is fireformed then play with seating depth. Settled on 68.3 grains and 3175 fps is sufficient enough for deer.
The 7 Mag featherweight is touchy, its not easy to hold steady like those heavier rifles.

Back