Is it my load or barrel?

Bteate,

Something to think about that was pointed out to me a month ago that caused me to think heavy duty and it makes sense. I applied what I learned and believe it. My application proves it through on my post on my 7mm.

I was at a friend's place recently who is a very skilled & successful F-class shooter & 1kBR competitor. He took my 6.5 and proceeded to shoot several 1/2" 5-shot groups at 200. Yes, 5 shot groups. I tried doing the same, couldnt do less than 1" with the same everything. I was bumming and he knew it. He looked at me and laughed, he said "Why the hell do you back away from the gun with your head & body and take so much time? And your follow-thru sux!!!" He said in short, "dont leave position, dont move and SHOOT!!"

I applied that the other day, I shot 3 shot groups, not hurrying, but within 30-40 seconds all 3 shots were down range while not moving my head or breaking my cheek weld or taking my eye of the target. Sure I waited 4-5 minutes between groups, but certainly did not move anything between shots except my lungs and eyelids.

I have been thinking about that the last two days alot and it all makes sense, clear sense. And that is before when I would take say 3-4 minutes between shots like it sounds your doing, trying to do everything right, I totally broke any connection, hold, pressure with the rifle, move my lard butt, change my position. Then try to repeat what I just did and it wasnt working... Well duh, I said to myself. In effect I was resetting "everything, everytime" and expecting the bullet to go to the same place each time..... Think about it. I have and I am convinced it makes a world of difference for me.

Good topic.. Thanks for posting and good luck...

Rod

Rod, you are right on with your last statement. Breaking stock weld on every shot, really makes it difficult to get back on the gun exactly the same way every time. Big powder using magnums make this difficult in sporter weight barrels, but in standard cartridges it is pretty easy to do. Scotty

Back