is my load too fast? (pressure too high)

caribouhunter

Beginner
Mar 31, 2009
I recently started loading for a new to me 270 winchester

loading the 130 hornady interlock on H4831
first test was a ladder from 56 to 61 gr to check for pressure sign.
i forgot my chrono that day, but didn’t see any pressure signs.

following test was all 60gr loads with different primers.
best result (lowest ES and SD) were with CCI 200 and federal 215.
average velocity with the cci 200 was 3095 fps and 3115 with the 215.
this with a 22" barrel. it seems pretty fast to me, and has me wonder if pressure are not
a little too high.
i couldn’t detect any pressure signs on brass or primers tough.
bullets were seated .020" from touching the land if it matters.

thanks

I'm going to say you're right at max . quickload shows 3107 FPS at 65029psi ( rated at 65000psi ) using 61.7 gr of H4831 . when you consider your lot of powder could be a little fast , your case water capacity could be a little less , and a few other things , you're probably at max pressure .

I’d say you’re probably at max myself but if their accurate and shoot for you I wouldn’t sweat it a bit myself.

That same load has been used for years from 3000-3100 and it’s probably one of the best buck light switches out there in my opinion.

Thanks guys
would it be safe then to test from .010 to .040 from the land without backing the powder charge?
loads are already made...
that’s 0.010 longer and 0.020 deeper than the test loads

We forget sometimes that some barrels are just faster than others. I do anyway.
EE2

I'd think you're fine. I'm pretty conservative, but occasionally you get a load or a barrel that is just fast.

I loaded some 30-06 for a buddy's Tikka with 178 ELDX and Superformance. At book max, speeds were 2850 with no pressure signs at all. The same load in a different rifle was 2750.

caribouhunter":32hpvwwt said:
Thanks guys
would it be safe then to test from .010 to .040 from the land without backing the powder charge?

yes , you can shoot your seating test without worries . changing seating depth will change pressure a little , but not enough to cause a problem . most of my loads are at , or close to max pressure . that's where I seem to find my accuracy .
if you would like another pressure test , you can load a piece or two of brass over and over a few times to watch your primer pocket life . if you loosen the primer pockets in a few cycles you might want to back off a little .

jimbires":5a7j3z5y said:
caribouhunter":5a7j3z5y said:
Thanks guys

yes , you can shoot your seating test without worries . changing seating depth will change pressure a little , but not enough to cause a problem . most of my loads are at , or close to max pressure . that's where I seem to find my accuracy .
if you would like another pressure test , you can load a piece or two of brass over and over a few times to watch your primer pocket life . if you loosen the primer pockets in a few cycles you might want to back off a little .

Good idea!
will do!

I have found jimbires' suggestion to load a couple pieces of brass several times over and checking for loose primer pockets one of the better ways to check pressure and still economize on components. Brass brand will make a difference, some expand more easily than others - but it is still a good pressure indicator.
EE2

Well it is like Jack O'Conner said. 60 grs of H4831 with 130 gr bullets in a 270 Win. go together like ice cream and apple pie. I have shot this load with various 130 bullet makes over the years with outstanding results and yes you probably are at a safe max in my experience and your velocity is right at were I always got. The 60 gr H4831 load used to be on the label for the 270 Win. with 130s when Hodgdon went to the plastic jars.

I've read old Jack actually wrote about and used 62 gr. of IMR (or maybe surplus) 4831. 60 gr. is published, but may be conservative in some rifles. EE2

elkeater2":20iqypsu said:
I've read old Jack actually wrote about and used 62 gr. of IMR (or maybe surplus) 4831. 60 gr. is published, but may be conservative in some rifles. EE2

I believe that 62.0 gr. load was with the milsurp H4831 Could be very much too much with current versions of the powder.
Paul B.

PJGunner":h1r8sh3o said:
elkeater2":h1r8sh3o said:

I believe that 62.0 gr. load was with the milsurp H4831 Could be very much too much with current versions of the powder.
Paul B.

Correct :wink:

Brass capacity means something here as well. RP, Win, Nosler, ETC all are a bit different, so 60 in one might be good while it might take 62 in another to make the same speed. I don't fret over the grains mostly, I pay attention to the Magnetospeed and the rifle and let them be my compass, within reason of course.

Back