Is there anyway or any one who can remove.....

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
... a small dent from my Marlin 45-70 magazine tube?

I have the 1895 LTD I 45-70. It is 1/2 octagonal and 1/2 round barrel 24" long.

I am not sure if the standard magazine tube fits.

ANY HELP?

acf232c.jpg

I removed one by removing the tube and tapping a dowel down it... it was a beater gun but it worked ok.

You could still see a slight deformation- a slightly larger dowel would have worked better.

hodgeman":4msivvxn said:
I removed one by removing the tube and tapping a dowel down it... it was a beater gun but it worked ok.

You could still see a slight deformation- a slightly larger dowel would have worked better.
I was thinking the same thing.
Take your time and tap lightly.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I like the dowel idea. If the dowel is a little small in diameter I would slowly add layers of electrical tape to increase the diameter of the dowel. Maybe even try just putting the tape on the off side of the dowel away from the dent. No hands on experience, just my thoughts. Good luck.

Is the dent just cosmetic or is it affecting the function of the tube? Also can a new tube be ordered and installed instead of a fix?

Fotis, when I was helping a Gun Smith friend in his shop he would remove the tube and had a brass rod the same size as the interior of the tube which he turned on a lathe and would use that to swage the dent out just like you would a shot gun barrel. The end of the rod was rounded so as not to crease the tube where the dent is and ease the dent out by lightly tapping the the rod threw the tube will iron out the dent. (y)

If you use a dowel, get some decent hardwood. Some of the lumberyard dowels labeled as hardwood aren't really. EE2

FOTIS said:

Wow - Nice rifle FOTIS!

If that dent is just cosmetic and you have an interesting story to tell someone one day on how it happened, I'd just leave it as it adds character.

FOTIS":2a1yzniy said:
Rol_P":2a1yzniy said:
I like the dowel idea.

If one can find the correct diameter!! :evil:

...I'm betting a .50/.54 cal. 'wiping rod' would be just the ticket, I'd find a small socket set, see which on fits the best inside the tube, measure the outside dia., get a corresponding ramrod, maybe even one of the TC/ CVA fiberglass rods. You could even get 'fancy', buy an oversized jag & file it down w/ a taper to use as an 'expander'...

The outside diameter of the tube is .700" Inside should be .68" or so

How about a 20 gauge old English hydraulic dent raiser? That should just fit.

Back