At the range, with the Marlin 1895

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Spent some time at the rifle range yesterday, checking the zero and getting some practice with my 45-70 Marlin 1895. It's the standard model with the 22" barrel. This one was made during the Remington years but has always been an accurate and reliable rifle. I've got a little 2.5x Leupold on it, in quick detach rings. Replaced the Marlin sights with a barrel mounted Skinner peep sight, and a Skinner front sight as well.

Handload is the 350 grain Hornady RNSP over enough IMR 3031 to churn up about 2,000 fps. I hadn't shot those powerful loads in a while. The roar & recoil brought a grin to my face, as did the accuracy. Normally I shoot mild cast lead bullet handloads from this rifle. Again with the sinus clearing loads yesterday. Dang! :)

G1AUDb1h.jpg

Heading to Idaho for a spring bear hunt, and wanted to be sure that the rifle and I are both ready.

Regards, Guy

Spent some time at the rifle range yesterday, checking the zero and getting some practice with my 45-70 Marlin 1895. It's the standard model with the 22" barrel. This one was made during the Remington years but has always been an accurate and reliable rifle. I've got a little 2.5x Leupold on it, in quick detach rings. Replaced the Marlin sights with a barrel mounted Skinner peep sight, and a Skinner front sight as well.

Handload is the 350 grain Hornady RNSP over enough IMR 3031 to churn up about 2,000 fps. I hadn't shot those powerful loads in a while. The roar & recoil brought a grin to my face, as did the accuracy. Normally I shoot mild cast lead bullet handloads from this rifle. Again with the sinus clearing loads yesterday. Dang! :)

G1AUDb1h.jpg

Heading to Idaho for a spring bear hunt, and wanted to be sure that the rifle and I are both ready.

Regards, Guy
Beautiful rifle/setop
I love those, but had to settle for a marrlin 336c in 30-30. I have been put on a strict firearm diet last three years.

Last edited:
I have the exact same rifle and it’s been my absolute favorite since I bought it new on day one. Every rifle I own would go before that one. The lines of a 22” barreled 1895 are beautiful. They are accurate as all get out, strong, and balanced perfectly. And just like a pretty lady they will smack you on the cheek if you don’t pay attention 😉

Good stuff Guy. Always fun to do some shooting and that part of life just wouldn't seem right without at least one of the lever rifles of some sort in the mix.

I was lucky enough to win a 45-70 in a 4H raffle (SBL) and then bought a 2nd 45-70 (CB 26") as so not to be alone. If I can't have 2, then I'll never own just 1 of any cartridge.

G1AUDb1h.jpg

Regards, Guy
Guy, it is great to see you out and about, enjoying life and shooting firearms after your heart issues. Dan

Back