It doesn't Rain it Pours!

HomerOz

Handloader
Sep 13, 2012
G'Day Fella's,

Some time ago, apparently Ruger stopped making it's standard New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt (stainless steel, with a 4 5/8" barrel)!
At the time when they were still available, for what ever reason I didn't buy one, so for the last few years, I've been on the lookout for one.
I missed out on one a couple of years back, so I just kept looking but without any luck.
Three weeks ago, a Ruger "Redhawk" stainless Double Action revolver in .45 Colt (4.2" barrel), was advertised and thinking I would never find a Blackhawk, I bought it!
Two weeks later, a New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt (stainless steel, with a 4 5/8" barrel), was also advertised, so I bought it as well!!!

Now I'm a bit reluctant to sell the Redhawk, as it has grown on me and I now really do like it!
This must qualify, as a "First World Problem"!!!

I'll post some images of them, when I get a chance to take some!

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

LOL!
I had that problem for a long time over the S&W Model 57/58.
Sometimes it's nice to have problems. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Yes, a genuine problem that seems to afflict gun nuts disproportionately. What a delightful dilemma! Hey, we're looking forward to the pictures, Homer.

G'Day Fella's,

Thank you both, for your comments!
Vince, that 57/58 Smith problem, is the kinda problem I'd like to have!!!

I have taken some images of the Redhawk but I have now started to give it an "Ultimate" cosmetic make over.
So, I'll wait until I have some Before and After images, before I post them.

Regards
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

As I suggested, here are some Before and After images of my Ruger Redhawk and other .45 Colts firearms.
020.JPG
023.JPG
042.JPG
043.JPG
045.JPG
044.JPG

Doh!
Homer

G"Day again,

Here are some more of the Redhawk and some other .45 Colt firearms.
047.JPG
049.JPG
050.JPG
053.JPG
054.JPG
055.JPG

I would like to fit some nice exotic wood grips (suggestions?) and a Bowen rear sight (and when I get a chance, I'll look into modifying the ramp, to accept the standard Ruger, replaceable front sights???).

FYI, all of the work (blending, matching and polishing) that I undertook on the pictured Redhawk, was done by hand! No mechanical or electrical tools and equipment were used at any time!
Further to this, have a look at the word Redhawk in the "Before" image, and again in the "After" image. You will notice the lower leg on the letter "K" in Redhawk, was not complete from the factory! So the last thing I wanted to do, was remove even more of this or any other lettering!
This took some careful attention to detail, on my part!!!

Doh!
Homer

Looks purty.
Bet it shoots good too. :)

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

G'Day Fella's,

Vince, Thank You for the kind comments!
And I hope to find out how well the .45 Colt revolvers shoot, shortly.

Doh!
Homer

I think you'll find the old .45 does just fine at the range.

Sweet looking revolver for sure!

G'Day Fella's,

Lets hope so Guy Miner!

I'm trying to locate some nice wood grips for it at present and hope to get a Lyman 255grn FNFP bullet mold shortly, and cast up some for it.

Doh!
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

FYI, I've now finished the Blackhawk, including installing a modified Super B/hawk hammer and doing a 1 1/2 pound trigger job on it.
DSCN1183.JPG
DSCN1153.JPG
DSCN1189.JPG
DSCN1141.JPG
I'm awaiting some Australian grown, English Walnut (grip size off cuts) to arrive from a mate that harvests and mills gun stock blanks.
Whilst I've completed the trigger job on the Redhawk, I still need to change to a lighter main spring and when I can actually find some for sale, fit Bowen Classic rear sights to both of these revolvers!

I'll post some Before and After images of these grips, once I've finished them.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

Back