It Is Going (8X68S)

skidmark":pex9ldsa said:
Midway USA has 8X68S Norma Brass on Clearance
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/131117 ... uctFinding

At the moment, I have 100 pieces of Norma brass and twenty pieces of new H-S brass. That is a good price, but it is well nigh impossible for me to get brass from Midway into Canada.

Scotty, I hear you on finding time. I'm still rooting for you to get some time at the range with the Newton.

Dr. Mike I know I'm late in this topic but I'm curious, how did your 8x68 turn out and what load have you settled on, you see I am a 8mm fan and bought some of those 8x68 cases from Midway and then sometime later a Blaser R8 with a 8x68 barrel. I am currently finishing up a load with 220gr SGK's & Alliant 4000MR and am starting load development with the same powder and 180gr E-Tip and 180ge GMX. Also did you buy or build a 7X61 Super

Well, the rifle isn't finished just yet. I have been distracted by a 358 Norma Magnum which should be in my hands shortly. The components for the 8X68S are assembled and the reamer is about. It has just been shoved back. The 7X61 also went to the back of the line. I'll post by fall on most of this, I'm certain.

Mike I believe the 8x68 shares roughly the same dimensions as the Newton. Need to run it down a little more. I know there is some good 8x68 brass out there too.

Looking forward to seeing the 358 and 8x68 up and running. Two awesome cartridges.

These two builds have taken longer than I anticipated. There are good reasons for the delay, but it is difficult at times. I did grouse the other day that I would need to borrow Dan's walker in order to use them at this rate. I have brass and dies for each of these builds; I'm just patiently waiting

The 8x68S will add some more horsepower to your safe, not that you need it! Both of those are great calibers. I have never seen a 8x68S in the US but I wasn't really looking. Send us pictures as you have something to show? I am looking forward to seeing both.

Oldtrader3":2tiei9z6 said:
Send us pictures as you have something to show? I am looking forward to seeing both.

Will do, Charlie.

It is moving at a glacial speed, Scotty. It keeps getting put on the back burner at the shop. The .358 Norma Mag is at the stock maker getting a finish. It is a French Walnut stock (hmmmmm, wonder if that means I throw it down and run whenever I see a bear?). The action and all metal will get a Cerakote finish. The estimate for this is now late December or early January. It will miss hunting season this year, but perhaps it will be around for spring bear next year. The 8X68 should be ready by the same time. I bring it up whenever I'm in the shop. The action is an FN produced Winchester that is yet to be chambered for the round. Someone mentioned that it was being carried around and admired a couple of weeks past.

That 358 sounds beautiful and I'm sure the 8x68 will be awesome as well. I imagine you'll be like a kid at Christmas when they show up.

You may be assured there will be pictures when all is finished, and again as loads are worked up.

DrMike":2i3dhctr said:
It is moving at a glacial speed, Scotty. It keeps getting put on the back burner at the shop. The .358 Norma Mag is at the stock maker getting a finish. It is a French Walnut stock (hmmmmm, wonder if that means I throw it down and run whenever I see a bear?). .

No, DrMike, but you will surrender every time you see a German!

SJB358":2pcla7yw said:
FOTIS":2pcla7yw said:
This is what I want in 6.5x68 Schuler

Elegant - High-quality - Safe

The "2165" is the classic K98 with luxury attachments.

a_1202x.png

showthumb.php

Fotis, is that a Voere?

Yup had one in 270 Win but sold it like a fool!

We all live with regrets; but we do manage to learn from them. That would have been a lovely rifle, Fotis.

The 6,5x68 Schüler was never loaded to its thrue potential. If one compare it the ballistics of a .270Win they are identical...but the Schüler cartridge has more casevolume than a .270Weatherby.
Original 6,5x68s were made with a 1:11 twist which roughly can shoot a 124grain bullet and no more.
Its a cartridge that it´s becomming more scarce overhere. 25 years ago one could find a rifle in that caliber in just about any hunting/gun store. It was also made in a rimmed version too for breakaction singleshots(kipplauf).

If there had been a reamer in 6.5X68S available to my gunsmith when I built the .358 Norma Mag, I would have gone with that cartridge. I am somewhat stretched, however, so I opted for something that had a reamer available. The 6.5X68S would be an excellent cartridge for about anything here in NA--certainly for any ungulate.

DrMike, it is almost as hard on all of us :wink: all this waiting. But it will make you appreciate the new rifles all the more!
Both rifles will late Christmas gifts.

Blessings,
Dan

I have an 8x68S built on a LH Sako AV action. Be careful of the differences in case head diameter of the 8x68S and the more customary .473 & .532. IMO a Rem 700 would not be a good candidate for such a rifle.
I have an 8x68S reamer if you need it.
Regards,
sbsmith

Back