It Never Fails

Joec7651

Handloader
Apr 7, 2019
Soooooo........I was at the range today doing some load work with 175 grain ELD-X’s for the 7mm RM I reworked. Settled on an accuracy load at 2870 fps for now. Had the perfect group going at an honest 200 yards. 4 shots literally in the same hole at about 3/8”. 5th shot..........pulled it by an inch and a quarter. I knew it when I pulled the trigger because I saw my heartbeat through the scope. Still chasing the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. LOL. It never fails.

We've all had that experience. Still, sounds as if you're getting some excellent results.

DrMike":23iph7fa said:
We've all had that experience. Still, sounds as if you're getting some excellent results.
It does shoot really well. Fotis was right about the X-Caliber barrel. I got it down to moving the group one click to get it exact. Shooting at a small 1/4” bull helped me too. I think the 1:8 twist likes the long bullets. It’s a pretty mild load out of the 26” tube but it sure keeps them tight. The Compass II I have was putting the same ELD-X’s inside an inch at 100 yards with the new 1:9 twist T/C moved to for 7mm RM. The Compass shot the 160 grain Speer Hot Cor’s really well (1/2 to 3/4”) at 2960 fps. It took a few hours but I went through 100 rounds give or take a few. About 55 degrees so it was easy to keep the barrels cool. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky. A very enjoyable morning of shooting. Had a great time even by myself.

Yup Love them! My 22 creed is insanely accurate.

I’m going to head back again tomorrow. I want to see what kind of performance I can get with 160 grain Partitions and RL-23. After all that’s the “guaranteed to ruin their day, and you just have to knock ‘em flat” bullet for the 7mm RM. I’ll work with both my 24” barreled T/C, and 26” barreled Remington. I’m anxious to see what shakes out with velocity and groups. The 175 grain ELD-X shot amazingly well today from the Remington with RL-25, so I’m looking forward to seeing if they like the PT with RL-23.

I've been humbled many of time by my brain. When my eyes see that i'm stacking rounds on one another my brain has to screw with me and send that message to my trigger finger to pull or push the trigger differently and throw off my nice group.

I’m off Friday so I’m going to have a range day, and see if I can send 5 without a flyer. Taking the 7mm mags and my two 45-70’s. “Gonna be a good day Tater”

Back