It's the economy!

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
It is the economy!

Last night I received an e-mail from my favorite local construction contractor saying that he was closing up his business. He had no business booked. I was dumbfounded!

A few years ago, it was impossible to get a good contractor around here. Everyone was booked solid. I finally found a good one by word-of-mouth. He had done an excellent kitchen remodel for a neighbor. This guy was fantastic.
  • He returned calls.
  • He came to appointments on time.
  • He was active in the National Guard.
  • He showed up to start a project on the agreed date (or sooner).
  • If his actual costs were below his estimate, he passed the cost savings on to you.
  • His work was top notch, and he stood behind it.
A while back he was booked for whole next summer. Now he has no work.

When I got the notice last night I sent him an e-mail saying that I was sorry things hadn't working out. This is how he responded to me via personal e-mail,

" Hey Dan and Tina,
Thanks for reaching out. This isn't necessarily the path we wanted to go but the economy has been fighting us all year. I appreciate your business throughout the last few years. I will still be taking on small projects during the summer and school year so I'm not gone for good."

If this guy can't make it as a construction contractor, IT IS THE ECONOMY!

I hope your friend will see improvement with the fed lowering interest rates. Still hard to find good contractors around here.

Too bad for him.
All this is doing is allowing the scam contractors to come in and take advantage of people.

Back