I've joined the dark side, sort of. First black gun.

jtoews80

Handloader
May 19, 2007
Sorry to get excited bout an AR, they are probably jnot a big deal where you guys are.

After years of being a bolt action, accuracy minded guy and not having anything remotely close quarters tactical I got my Handgun permit this year. I bought and traded for a few toys to play with and went largly on public opinion with my selections. I picked up a .44 Mag ruger SBH, a 40 S&W Para Ord. P16-40, a 9mm Para Ord. 1911 LTC and a 9mm CZ75 that I was only supposed to be buying to flip for a marginal profit.

Popular opinion may dictate one thing, but my shooting habits are not the same as alot of people's. I like to shoot alot, in keeping with this logic I bought bullets moulds and casted alot of bullets. Having no handgun experiance prior to this summer I didn't realize that auto's don't like cast. The Para's simply wouldn't shoot the cast bullets without jamming every 3rd shot. Maddening.
Meanwhile the 44 loves'em, not quite the fast loading and unloading of the auto's, but doesn't chuck cases everywhere either.
The little CZ75 I picked up for $395 shoots csat quite well if kept clean. It will jam after about 5 mags, but that is to be expected I guess. The Para 9mm LTC would handle 2 mags and then develop a stutter. The 40 wasn't any better.

SO, I traded the 40 for a Ruger SS/syn Hawkeye in 280 rem. The 9mm LTC and a chinese made Norinco M305(M14 clone) I had were traded today for a LH flat top Stag Arms AR 15 with the 6 position stock, 4 rail forend and a some no name scope.

Never thought I'd see the day, but these guns are alot of fun. Regrettably, they are range only firearms here. I am somewhat jealous of the chance to take this thing out hunting coyotes..... :twisted:
I have to wait until the paperwork is completed to pick it up and will post picks when it gets here, that is, if I can find the camera charger.

JT.

Oh Oh, you're in trouble now. Don't you know about BRD?

I have a 16" Bushmaster M4 Optics Ready Carbine. I put a 1.5x4.5x32mm Bushnell Elite 3200 Rifle Scope on it with the Fire Fly Reticle. Also installed a JP Enterprises Fully Adjustable Trigger & Speed Hammer in it. This has become my favorite rifle for Coyotes, and just plain fun in general.

Good luck.

Larry

You gonna like the dark side :lol: AR style rifles can be alot of fun and makes a good yote rig.

Great fun; but range time is going to increase exponentially!

AR's are awesome rifles.
Sorry, I had to say that.
Not only will your range time increase but your hand loading time will increase also. You will love to hate loading that little round.
It's all worth it though.
Congrats on the new semi auto rifle.

Congratulations on the AR. They are a lot of fun and can be expensive to feed. :lol:

JD338

I have been thinking about joining the dark/fun side. I have been eyeing the Remington R15 or R25. My first problem is I'm currently in CA so most of those types of rifles are illegal. I will seriously start looking again when I move back to Idaho in Jan 2010.

I've almost always worked for someone who gave me an Evil Black Rifle to use. For about the last 30 years anyway. These days I maintain a whole fleet of the darned things for our patrol officers and our SWAT guys. Just happen to have a nice M-16 set aside for my own use as well... :grin:

Funny thing, I've never owned one!

My oldest son really likes them, and has a 24" heavy barreled Bushmaster for varminting. I must like the young man, I gave him a 6.5-20x Leupold for it and a great TIS sling as well as a scope mount, "tactical" rings and all sorts of goodies and ammo for it... Sheesh. What kind of a dad am I spoiling my kid like that? Well heck, he earned the money for the rifle. Sure has a lot of fun with it too.

Enjoy that Evil Black Rifle - they're a hoot. Let me know if you have any maintenance issues - most problems can be avoided by:

1. Proper cleaning and lubrication.
2. Using quality ammo and magazines.
3. Being very selective about the parts and pieces you drop into it or bolt on. Some guys take a perfectly good gun and ruin it by adding every cool-looking do-dad they can think of...

Regards, Guy

I had it out today and you guys were not kidding. 2 boxes is just enough to get ready to shoot more. I wasn't really shooting fast and have to deal with a 5 rd mag restriction, but that hardly helps. I loaded up some Sierra 55 HPBT's that I had bought to fireform brass for my 22-250 and the ogee was too big and the point to flat, it was hanging up on the feed ramp until I'd push the mag up the slightest bit. No issues at all with Fedral AE 55 grn FMJ tho, just the boxes got empty :grin: :grin:

No camera charger as of yet, my 16 mth old son loves to hide it, so mom put it away. Now we really don't know where it is.....lol. It looks the same as most Ar's tho.

It's a Stag 15 LH flattop with a forend quad rail that I am not really fond of and a decent compact scope on it. The factory round handguard is supposed to be here sometime in the not to distant future and I'll likely remove and possibly sell the quadrail. I think it defeats the purpose of a lightweight rifle to hang alot of heavy crap off it. If I had a bipod that cliped onto it or some purpose maybe, but not just to look "TactiCool" :?

I was pretty fond of that darn Chineses knock off M14 that I traded for it. Likely, because it wasn't $2000 like the good ones are and I expected alot less. I would grab another in a flash if the price was right because they are legal to hunt with.

The Stag has 2 strikes against it for WT deer hunting and 1 for any hunting. It is under .23 caliber for deer and is classified as a Restricted firearm here in Canada and not for any other use than the range, which is fun too.

Yes, Guy. I am jealous, an M16 would be alot of fun to take the range. even more so if sent along with a case full of ammo :twisted: :twisted:
How careful do you have to be not to damage/overheat the barrel if you use the burst or full auto on the m16. I know that alot of them are chrome lined, but can you still damage them?
If I ever make it to Vegas, I will waste some money trying a FA.

JT.

The reason I'm grabbing this one by the mag & mag well is because it has no "cowboy" forward grip, and the stock handguards are TOO HOT to hold without gloves. This is after a few magazines of fast semi-auto mixed with full auto bursts...
IMG_0087.jpg

The M-16 wasn't really designed for sustained full-auto fire... I don't know how many rounds it would take to really damage the barrel, but I've seen them glowing dull red... Can't be good for the poor critters! Fun getting them that way though... :grin:

I really do like those Evil Black Rifles... Easy to shoot, surprisingly accurate anymore. I think you're going to have a LOT of fun with that thing!

I don't have any use for the Quad Rails with all the dodads hanging off of them riyhrt. On my Bushmaster I simply replaced the plastic M4 Handguards with a Carbine Length, Aluminum Free float Tube (in the process I cut the Bayonet Lug and Sling Swivel Tabs off of my front sight base / gas block). I simply put a detachable sling swivel stud in my free float tube to attach my Harris BE Model Swivel Bipod and Sling to. Nice and clean and simple, and not cluttered.

As stated I use mine for work as well as a Coyote Calling Rifle. In fact mine is carried in the patrol vehicle every day. I also use it for pest control on the edges of town when unwanted pest try to enter town, mainly skunks and racoons.

I really wouldn't want 3 shot burst or full auto capability as I work to hard making my ammo to have a mag gone in a second or two. It might be fun once or twice though.

Larry

I have a RRA Varmiter 24" that is a real shooter, my youngest son bought a RRA Nat. Match when he returned from Iraq, it is a shooter as well.

Back