Jump to lands using accubonds.

Ehgbyf

Beginner
Dec 10, 2013
I have a custom 243 ackley that I can not get to shoot 90 grain accubonds. Do these bullets like more or less jump?

My current batch is around 20 thousandths

In a wide variety of cartridges, it has been my experience that bonded core bullets, such as the AccuBond, yield the best accuracy when they have a significant jump to the lands. I routinely start all my workups at 0.100 inches off the lands. I don't believe I have a load that is less that 0.070 off the lands.

DrMike":3authw7u said:
In a wide variety of cartridges, it has been my experience that bonded core bullets, such as the AccuBond, yield the best accuracy when they have a significant jump to the lands. I routinely start all my workups at 0.100 inches off the lands. I don't believe I have a load that is less that 0.070 off the lands.

Same here, like Mike I have tried a bunch of rifles and all acted the same as he mentioned.

Ditto, my Remington 700 .30-06 is jumping .250, yes a whole quarter inch, and it loves the jump.

In my two 25-06's they're at .1 jump. My 243 is at .08 jump. My 264 is at .1 and my 6.5x55 is at .05". I'll be playing with a 30-06 and some 125's just for S&G's. I'll probably start them off about .1.

Just for the heck of it I tried the 165 AccuBond at magazine length in my .308. Interestingly enough, it proved to be the most accurate OAL and measured at .165" off the rifling.

When I start experimenting with a cartridge, I always start out at maximum magazine length then work back. In some cases starting from the lands is not practical, especially when you want a second shot. . I have found the AB's to be picky but they can be convinced to shoot well.

Back