Just what is this new .458/300 grain RN/CT bullet?

jaycocreek

Beginner
Apr 12, 2005
I am curious to what this new bullet actually is compared to the old reliable 300 grain Protected Point.How about a construction comparison.Is it the same as the old Combined Technology bullet used in Winchester 45-70 ammo?

How does it improve on this Nosler reply on the old one?

The 45-70 300gr Partition impact velocities are from 700-2300 fps . The rear section is incredibly tough and will stand up to the higher velocities. And the front section will open down to 700fps impact velocities, making the Partition an incredibly versatile bullet. In the Nosler Reloading Guide #5 Mark A. Keefe, IV took a moose at 27ft with no bullet recovery, his hunting buddies took four other moose out to 125 yds. My first big game was taken with the 45-70 Marlin Century Limited III. It's a great round and you'll like the 300 gr Partition in it.

Jayco

This is the new bullet for the 45-70 that is listed on the Nosler web site.
300 gr BST RN. Will be an excellent bullet for the 45-70 and 450 Marlin.

JD338

Howdy JD..My question was,what is the difference between the new one and the old?Winchester used to load a 300 grain CT bullet in there ammunition which was listed as a Combined technology bullet yet everyone said it was the Nosler PP.I do not know as I did not see that ammo or bullet.Is this new bullet the same CT bullet Winchester loaded?

This one is Round Nose by design such as say the Hornady 350 RN rather than a flat type meplat design the Protected Point had or the 350 Hornady Flat Point.In Hornady's case,two very different bullets and jacket thickness's and intended uses.

I am only curious what the difference is between the old .458/300/PP and the new one listed.Same velocities-data for reloading/same impact velocities listed by Nosler(7-2300 fps) in the reply I posted and is it Partitioned and if not,how is it designed?

I am sure since it is a Nosler,it is a good bullet but I wonder if anything was given up to achieve the ability to shoot SAAMI 45-70 loads(28,000) and yet hold together for 450 Marlin loads at 43,500 PSI.It takes a great bullet to achieve both sets of pressure and velocity and still perform on game equally well..

Thanks Guys...Jayco

This is the old Partition Gold by Winchester and supposedly combined with and designed by Nosler as a Combined Technology bullet?.I probably am wrong but that is what my old memory is trying to tell me. :grin:

patGoldBullet_L.jpg

Supreme stopping power. Proven Partition technology, combined with Winchester's patented steel insert technology, delivers dramatic bullet expansion, deep penetration, and devastating energy deposit with improved weight retention

Anyway,it was also a tried and proven bullet labeled a Combined Technology bullet or CT.That is why I am curious to the design of this new one from Nosler,also a CT bullet but with a lead RN..Just curious as to the design if it is not a Partition.

Thanks...Jayco

The old one is the Partition. Nosler is actually reconsidering to keep this bullet in production.

The New bullet is a Ballistic Tip. The lower velocity that it will be used at will give positive expansion with a retained core for more weight and penetration.

JD338

So do you have to load it down and stay away from 450 Marlin velocities?Factory 45-70-300 grain ammo runs about 1880 fps while 300 grain 450 Marlin velocities run more like 2350 fps.

Thanks..Jayco

I too am very curious about the construction of the new bullet. I appoligize for worrying the Noslers to death but I sincerely hope it did some good. If the new bullet does indeed have a Partition I can see that it would be very useful. I still want the old one back though. reflex264

Me too, I really like the 300 gr PP.

JD338

Anyone got a picture of it. Can not locate one.

Too cool! So it is like a Ballistic silvertip?

What is the status on the 300 PT still a go or no go?

Back