Lake Trout today!

I like lakers. When the Sockeye are pumping up through Ugashik Narrows the lakers follow them up into the lower end of the river and you can get them on a fly rod. Not to many landed as big as yours though. That is a dandy.
Catherine said she likes your shirt and you look like a Mainer.

Luv her comment: "Catherine said she likes your shirt and you look like a Mainer." That's an old Woolrich, it's thick enough with a Beans River Driver top under it to hunt down to 32 degrees. Speaking of Ugashik Lakes, I shot a nice 438 B&C Bull Caribou down there in 1981 that has a 60" spread........ ( 5 foot wide...... monster bull)
It was killed less than a Mile from where the world record ( At that time) Ray Loche bull died. It's still the widest one we have ever seen
E

That is a huge bull. Buddy of mine, Phil Byrd, has the hunt concession down there, South side of both lakes plus worked out a deal with the native corp in that area. Gets some very nice bears and moose. Fishing is very good as well as it’s far enough from King Salmon to lessen the float plane trips. I love it down there.
Overall the Caribou are coming back in that region but it is still only a limited tag for residents. We would see some dandy’s flying down there. Glad you got to hunt the area it is certainly one of my favorites.

I like grilling them… Lake Michigan lakers have shifted from white meat to a light pink meat… in the process they got leaner.. so while their old nickname was greaser or sliders… no one would call them that now.. reason for the change.. shift from eating alewives to brown goby’s… BG’s are found in all of Lake Michigan now and have substantial biomass. We’re seeing 20# lakes now… fairly often… salmon seem to have stabilized… Lake Michigan is wonderful.

I will be smoking up a couple of 7/8lb Togue to go with 100 Perch fillets; to use as Hor d vours at the big "Make a Wish" ( for disabled kids) on Aug 9th , taking place here in Exeter, Maine.

Attachments

• 20240625_085404.jpg
    20240625_085404.jpg
    584.4 KB · Views: 9
We used to fish for “Lakers” in Lake Superior and Lake Michigan back in the ‘70s and’80s. Some of the best eating came from Ontario- Manitou Lake if I remember correctly. Fly in 1st week of May for ice out fishing.
Been many years since I’ve had some….

Back