Land of the Free because of the Brave

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
The wife and I took a couple of days off last week just to get away and chill out.
We both like covered bridges and I know where to find them, so we headed up to Bedford County PA and stayed in the town of Bedford.
Lots of covered bridges and US history dating back to the 1700's.
We took lots of pictures which I have to figure out how to transfer them from the SD card to the laptop so when I figure it out, I'll revisit and post them.
Besides seeing covered bridges, we ran across two herds of American Buffalo on two farms, and they were a sight to see. I took lots of pictures but I haven't figured out how to transfer them yet. Yeah I know excuses excuses.
Now back to the title of this post.
We were also 30mins from the site of the 9/11 crash site of Flight 93. the last day of our stay we went to view the Bell tower and memorial. This is place everyone in this country should go to and pay their respect to the Brave people who died in that plane crash.
The wind chime bell tower requires a breeze of 12-15mph for the chimes to ring. We were there early and the air had just started to warm for the wind to blow but we did hear some soft ringing and I could feel the vibration of the tower when I placed my hands on one of the supports.
From there we went to the crash site wanting to avoid the crowd at the visitor center.
It's hard to describe what I saw since it is a grass covered field but in the center of the impact area is a huge sand stone boulder that was placed there to indicate the center of the impact.
I was very moved and emotional by what I saw and what I learned from a person who was one of the pallbearers who was with a school trip group.
The Boulder is a monument to the crew and passengers who regained control of the plane moments before it was shot down.
Though it was never publicized every piece of the plane that was recovered and the remains of the crew and passengers were buried at the crash site with a few pieces of the plane and items belonging to the crew and passengers on display in the welcome center for prosperity. There are telephone recordings in the center that you can listen to where the passengers called their family and loved ones before the crash and right after the plane was taken over if you can bare to listen to them I couldn't.
The burial was done in a secret and private ceremony that was requested by the families and relatives of the deceased.
The private ceremony was requested since the families and relatives didn't want the press to make a spectacle out of it.
To this day I doubt if the general public knows what is really there. I know I didn't and my wife didn't either.

I'll definitely look forward to the pictures, Rodger. Sounds like a meaningful day for you and your lady.

Roger,
Sounds like a great trip. I'm sure the colors made the trip even better.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

JD338

Back