Lapping Scope Rings

CT.HNTR

Beginner
Feb 6, 2022
When mounting a new scope is it critical to lap the rings or is this an unnecessary step?

I just check mine with a level. I level the base/pic rail, mount the rings (bottom only) and check level. If the base/pic rail has a + moa you/I just level it and go from there. Works for me, but probably doesn't make any sense to other that lap? I check 4-6 places and not just the bottom. Check across the top of the bottom half of the rings (both sides and diagonally), bottom (center), turn level 90* and check (same sides with and without top half attached and torqued). What lapping doesn't tell you is if it's square to/with the bore (which is more important). You can do this by inserting a laser bore sighter, putt a level in the center of the rings and add a laser on top. Make sure it's squared with the level or lay a pic rail between the rings with a laser attached. Marking your centers to insure best results.

I’ve gone to Burris Signature rings to avoid this issue. I’ve lapped rings in the past and won’t go that route anymore. No matter how much to clean the rings somehow compound still shows up on the scope tube.
My 340 , 375 , 416 Wbys all wear Signature rings with no issue to speak of.

I've used Signature rings, but they seem to be difficult to obtain consistently. I’ve also occasionally had issues getting them fully snug. If you’ve used them then you probably know what I mean. In addition, I prefer to use them with a double dovetail system, and those too are not always easy to find.
Having said that, they are excellent quality rings that can really grip a scope.

I tend to use the one-piece Talley rings now. I do usually lap them, but then remove them and clean them thoroughly before reinstalling. This usually takes some Simple Green and a toothbrush or similar so that no compound is left behind.

Ingot the wheeler lapping kit. Frankly, I’d recommend it on big Magnums, but know people who haven’t and still get great results. I just mounted a 3x9 on a 3030 and did not lap them. I also mounted. 45/70 and didn’t lap them. The 300 WM and 300 WSM got lapped. I’m picky about those two rifles because those two have better scopes(Steiner & a Zeiss). The two guns most likely to go West for us.

I've never bothered. I haven't had any problem with scopes other that a few turning toes up over many years. Usually it's the reticle the craps outs for me when a scope fails.
Paul B.

I did on a set of rings that seemed rougher than normal. Normally don't but couldn't hurt. Dan

I too have the Wheeler lapping kit and it does work well.
I agree that you shouldn't have to, but with some makes and models, production quality isn't or wasn't what it once was, and it is necessary. I have also seen runs from top manufacturers that went through phases of quality control issues and had to lap their for a while, but are better again now. Doesn't hurt to check!

To date, I only have one rifle with a pic rail on it...my Bergara set up for 22 PRS.

While I have only tried the Signature rings once, they were fine and worked well...but came on a used rifle, and stayed on the used rifle wen it went on to the next owner.

I really like the Optiloc rings, and the newer ones comes with inserts now. Much nicer as they do not mark scopes.

Otherwise I have used various Leupold rings and bases over the years (Standard, Dual Dovetail, QR, QRW, PRW) and some have been good, while others rough or needing lapping...but did not try the lapping until in the past 10-12 years. My favourite is still the Dual Dovetails and the QRs...wish they would make more QRs again for those of us with rifles that are also equipped with iron sights...not all of us are using huge scopes on PRS rifles!

I also use and like the Talley lightweight one piece rings and bases and have them on a number of rifles. Quick and simple. But I have probably lapped more of these than any other make over the years.

You only have to lap one set of rings to see that there are high spots and low spots that would cause tight & loose spots when they are torqued down. I've done a few but prefer Burris Signature rings on a pic base for most of my rifles. I have not experienced any scope slippage on the big kickers, up to 375 mag, with Signature rings.

Last edited:
I’m a die hard Talley user, and haven’t had any need to lap them. They are quality rings and very strong. Not saying others are not.

I always verify with levels, and a small square when mounting rings and scopes. Some time ago I did get a Savage 110 where the receiver wasn’t drilled and tapped square, but lapping wouldn’t have solved that problem. Savage replaced that rifle under warranty. I bought it from a friend for $175 because he couldn’t get it to shoot well. I ended up with a nice shooting 30-06 after it was all said and done.

Back