Last minute doe, and something odd about her

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
Yesterday was an interesting day. Last day of the PA rifle season, and it was cold (for us) in the morning. 25, damp, and windy. Yuck. And I took a stand high on a hilltop, so I got the full effect of the wind. No one ever accused me of being overly bright.

No deer until a herd of 7 or 8 does came trotting across a hilltop about 375-400 yards away. A few minutes behind them came the buck. THE buck. The one that I hit with my bow and didn't find (that was on Nov. 5). I saw him flip his tail first, which got my attention that another deer was present. Then I saw the rack. Then I brought up the binos. My gosh is he a nice deer. And I know it was him...the one I hit had cracked off a tine and this deer was the same...same tine, broken the same way, in the same spot...same overall size. It was him.

He wasn't limping, but wasn't running. He looked a little thin, but post rut might be all that is.

Anyway, he followed the does out of sight. Glad to see him still around. I hope he survives and I get to meet up with him next fall.

No more deer for the morning, so I came home to warm up.

Took my daughter out (she decided to sleep in for the morning) in the evening. We decided to set up to see if the does and/or buck decided to slink back from where they came. Deer were right at the stand when we got there and the busted out as we were getting settled in. Darn it.

About 10 minutes before quitting time, two does came easing down the field edge at about 120 yards. I wanted Megan to take the shot, but she just didn't feel good about making a clean shot, so I took it, and the doe crumpled in her tracks.

At literally the last very minute of the season, we heard something running, and a big doe came hauling down the field edge we were sitting on...she passed us at about 10 yards and doing Mach 2. She never slowed, and I don't know what kicked her into high gear like that, but she was hauling it.

Here's the doe I took:

2016doe_zpsccfeluux.jpg

All appears good to go.

I opened her up and cracked her sternum to remove heart/lungs. That's when I got concerned. There was a ton of connective tissue between the lungs and ribs. None of it looked like diseased tissue....it remind me of the tissue you have to cut when skinning a hide off an animal. Just lots of it, all around the lungs to the ribs. The lungs didn't look odd to me, and I saw nothing else wrong with her...well...other than the hole my 180gr Partition made.

Just not sure what that was...have her hanging for now. It was in the low to mid 20's last night, won't be over mid-30's today. 46-48 tomorrow for a high, but it won't be at that temp all day, and the deer is good and cold going into that, so I think she'll be fine to hang. After tomorrow, high temps are not supposed to go past 40-41 with lows in the 20's and 30's. She should be fine to hang for now.

I'm going to call the PA Game Commission and see if this rings any bells for anyone there. If not, then I think she'll be fine to eat. I can't find anything anywhere that shows this as a symptom of anything. The symptoms for CWD, EHD, and Bovine TB don't match this.

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

Oh, and for the rifle loonies/bullet junkies-- it's an M70 Extreme Weather in 300WSM, Leupold VX7, shooting 180gr Partitions at 2975.

I figured that would get asked at some point, lol.

Congratulations on your last minute doe.

JD338

Do you have any pictures of the inside of the chest? Sounds like a pleural pneumonia, but I would expect her to be pretty wrung out or sick. Maybe an old case and she survived with scar tissue in the chest? Were the lungs stuck to the chest cavity at all?

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of this ,Tom . I hope it's ok to use . let us know what you find out . congrats on the doe .

ksubuck":u128pj1l said:
Do you have any pictures of the inside of the chest? Sounds like a pleural pneumonia, but I would expect her to be pretty wrung out or sick. Maybe an old case and she survived with scar tissue in the chest? Were the lungs stuck to the chest cavity at all?

I didn't get any pics. I had my daughter with me and she had somewhere to get to, so she was holding the flashlight while I field dressed, and I was "on the clock" so to speak.

The lungs were fastened in there pretty good, but it seemed like it was from the connective tissue, not that they themselves were plastered to the ribs, if that's what you meant?

Nothing about the lungs really jumped out at me.

I hit the deer a little higher than intended, and basically drilled right through her spine. Blew a vertebrae out of alignment, and did damage the lungs, but it was not a hole right through the chest.

Could it be that the lungs just didn't collapse from the wound, since I didn't completely open the chest?

The doe was definitely not wrung out. She was in excellent condition otherwise.

She may have survived some sort of pneumonia at a younger age and was left with fibrous scar tissue connection of the lungs to the body wall. Kind of sounds like what you are describing. I have seen it in a few cows that survived pneumonia as calves.

Lol, Guy, I have usually ascribed to the theory that there's no such thing as "too dead."

That said, I was intending to be batting cleanup for my daughter, and the 300WSM is a good one for that purpose. Composite stock so I don't worry about it dinging the ladder stands with her in the mix with me, and a potent round to send after a deer not hit squarely. That's pretty much why I picked it.

When she decided they were too far for her and it was near quitting time, it was time to burn one at the does. For bonus points, she dropped about 20 yards from where I drive into the field when I take my truck in there, so it was an easy "drag". About 20 feet to my tail gate and then hauled up into the truck. Thank God for my deadlift workouts in the off season, lol.

I've heard scarring from pneumonia mentioned a few times. I'm gonna call the Game Commission tomorrow and if they don't have any red flags on it, we're business as usual and I'll leave her hang till Friday or so and get to work on her.

One of the bright spots from yesterday was seeing the buck I screwed up on back in November. I'm hoping there's no systemic infection on him and he's around next year. He already is in the 110-120" class (would be easy 120's to 130's if he didn't break off his right side G3). Tall, wide, good mass. Saw his rack with no optics at almost 400 yards.

I had a buddy hunting with me earlier in the week, and he shot a doe with a 375H&H. Sounds weird, but I liked what I saw. Shot behind the shoulder, dropped in about 5 steps, and nearly no meat loss. Hard to ask for anything more!

My preferred rifle for Mule Deer is my 300 WM, with a good hit they usually stay put. Congratulations on your doe.

c. schutte":1clu3c7n said:
Tom,

If I can shoot a turkey with a .340 wby then you can take a deer with a 300 WSM! (y)

How was that drumstick, Charles? :? Couldn't have been too much left other than one drumstick. :mrgreen:

Talked to the regional Game Commission biologist, and he put my mind at ease on the connective tissue stuff.

She's a big ol' doe.... glad she doesn't have to go to waste!

Tom, I am sure that big doe is going to be great table fare. I know this year if I would not have had such great success in filling my deep-freezes with Antelope, Moose & Mule Deer I would have looked for a old doe or a younger buck that did not look like he had good genetics :wink:.
Thank you for the post and photo.

Blessings,
Dan

Actually it's cold enough to let her hang and I plan to do just that.

Was going I let her hang till Saturday but it's supposed to get to highs in the 20's on a Thursday with lows in the single digits. She'll freeze then, and that's no help. I'll probably get the whole muscle cuts out of her Weds night and let the trimmings firm up in the cold so they will grind a little better and do that Thursday.

With the connective tissue outside of the lungs up against the rib cage, I'm guessing recovery from some sort of mechanical injury at a younger age, probably car collision. I shot a buck some years ago, and happened to have a friend in forensics school at the time. The right hind leg looked odd, significantly larger in the femur area than the other leg. Butchering revealed extra connective tissue around the femur. I sent it with the friend, and he ran some xrays and stuff on it. Revealed multiple hairline fractures that had healed.

I processed the deer yesterday. All appeared normal.

I snapped a quick pic of the hide, as this shows why I use Partitions so frequently.

C068ABFE-EF73-4538-91B2-5178CD685494_zpskk3u8qmj.jpg

Meat loss was not bad. Lost a little backstrap but it wasn't horrible. Not enough to complain about when the deer went down as though swatted with a big fly swatter!

Back