Lazzeroni 9.53 Saturn

CMBTshooter

Handloader
Jun 8, 2011
Does anyone have any experience with this cartridge? According to the website it's still chugging along at 1000 yards 1928 fps and 2888 ft lbs. I have no idea what I'd need that kind of power for, but what does that have to do with anything?

Would this cartridge fit into a standard long action? I'm thinking I might have to build one topped with a US Optics 5-25 mil/mil!

If only I could win the lottery or get paid in dollars and not in Monopoly money....

It is basically a twin to the 378 WBY. You need a big action not a standard long.

I really wonder how hard it will be to find brass especially in the future if Lazzeroni goes belly up. Why not consider the 375 RUM instead?

Or go all the way Build a 375 Snipe-tac. I had one. 350's at 3100 fps. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• elvi.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 2,736
FOTIS":2t4evm8s said:
Or go all the way Build a 375 Snipe-tac. I had one. 350's at 3100 fps. :mrgreen:

I can get a Cheytac bolt for a TAC338 action so the Snipetac might be a option when I get my TAC338 actions.

I would be a little nervous about getting Lazzeroni brass.
Bigger is better though, no replacement for displacement.

JD338

Apparently the Lazzeroni brass is made for them by Hornady. The longer I think about it, the more I want one! I feel like I need this capability.

If people think that Weatherby has proprietary chamberings and brass and complain about the cost just imagine what it's like buying a Lazzeroni. Ouch.

I worked up loads for quite a few Lazzeronis. Brass was outrageous. Almost all who owned them eventually (most rather quickly) traded them or sold them. Those who have kept them, don't really shoot them that much. I don't recall anyone who ever said they made a great purchase. Then, there was the little problem of people complaining that their throats were eroded in a few hundred rounds. From my perspective, there are better options.

I would do a Cheytac or Snipetac over a Lazzeroni. Brass is cheaper or at least the same cost and the performance is better. I would also do a .378 Weatherby or a .375-.338 Lapua Imp over a Lazzeroni. The .378 Weatherby for easy of reloading/components and the .375-.338 Lapua Imp. for the brass quality. The .378 Weatherby and the .375-.338 Lapua Imp will get almost identical performance as the Lazzeroni where as the Cheytac and Snipetac are a step above them all.

IdahoCTD":hy7pgfvf said:
I would do a Cheytac or Snipetac over a Lazzeroni. Brass is cheaper or at least the same cost and the performance is better. I would also do a .378 Weatherby or a .375-.338 Lapua Imp over a Lazzeroni. The .378 Weatherby for easy of reloading/components and the .375-.338 Lapua Imp. for the brass quality. The .378 Weatherby and the .375-.338 Lapua Imp will get almost identical performance as the Lazzeroni where as the Cheytac and Snipetac are a step above them all.

Excellent point. Loading data provided from Dr. Lazzeroni tends to be excessively hot in my experience.

You can't seem to beat the Lapua brass for the 338 when using/making these high performance cartridges.

SJB358":3tyyjbyx said:
You can't seem to beat the Lapua brass for the 338 when using/making these high performance cartridges.

That is why so many wildcats are based on it. Most of the time 100 rounds will last as long as a barrel. That is a good investment even though it hurts up front.

IdahoCTD":2t878xcn said:
SJB358":2t878xcn said:

That is why so many wildcats are based on it. Most of the time 100 rounds will last as long as a barrel. That is a good investment even though it hurts up front.

absolutely!

I would put my money on the .378Wea(which I have done already).

Like what Ross Seyfried said in regarding the .340Wea: "if you can´t do it with that one, you´re most likely not able to do it with any other".

It is funny how many people bad mouth the Lazz but yet I talk to tons of people that when you start talking dream rifles, the Lazz is on the top of the list. Hoever for performance VS. dollar spent, I dont think you can beat the .378 Wby. That this is a monster of a round.

Crap I just bought another .375 barrel so I might have to do a .375 SnipeTac and a .375-.338 Lapua Imp. I hate it when that happens. :)

Sako7STW":soznl8tu said:
It is funny how many people bad mouth the Lazz but yet I talk to tons of people that when you start talking dream rifles, the Lazz is on the top of the list. Hoever for performance VS. dollar spent, I dont think you can beat the .378 Wby. That this is a monster of a round.

It is true that a lot of people put the Lazzeroni at the top of their want list. It is equally true that when people who own them discover the cost of loading and replacing the barrels on a regular basis how quickly they sell them at bargain rates.

Back