Custom Rifle Shop - Looking for Any Firsthand Info (Ah, shoot, hearsay is always fun, too)

Well, I never heard of that particular gunsmith so no comment as to the quality of his work. I have however commissioned a few gun that I call custom although semi-custom might be more appropriate. One is based on an M98 commercial Mauser and others on milsurp Mausers and prices ranged from about $350 to $3,500. The $350 gun is a commercial FM Mauser in 30-06 with an oddball unknown twist Douglas barrel. Stock is a classic black McMillan. Timney trigger and that's the extent of it. Other than having the barrel installed and doing the stock myself, the rifle is simple, accurate with ammo it likes and I like it the way it is. At the other end is a DWM German Mauser in the 1909 Argentine pattern that has a Douglas barrel, Timney trigger, has been professionally reheat treated 24" semi heavy barrel with 1 in 9" twist. Stock is a beautiful piece of walnut carve and checker by the now retired Sterling Davenport. Metal wark was dome by Joe, the gunsmith at the Harry Lawson Company here in Tucson. Joe has since retires and I'm not sure Randy Lawson is still doing work. I stopped by and they were closed during mid week and that was unusual. I'm afraid I may be losing a favored gunsmith. Randy or Joe would usually get a job done without a very long wait, unlike most of the other gunsmiths here in town. I'd be dead a very long time before David Miller got a gun done for me. I believe a David Miller custom starts at about $5K and ges rapidly up from there. He does make beautiful guns though. It'd be interesting to see what Randy's Custom Rifles prices start at.
Paul B.
PM sent.

Well, thank you all for your input. What I have learned is that custom rifles are great things to dream about, even plan for, but not really something I can afford. It may well be that I never will afford them. So, for right now, I think I will sit tight. Later, though, I'll get some barrels either rechambered, or have barrel swaps done. In the meantime, I'll be reading abd handling rifles to see what I want to use as a common platform.

Again, thank you all.

You can always start with a semi custom , new barrel and stock can make a world if difference. I’ve done several barrel/stock swaps with great success. I have 2 in the works now. Semis don’t break the bank.

You can always start with a semi custom , new barrel and stock can make a world if difference. I’ve done several barrel/stock swaps with great success. I have 2 in the works now. Semis don’t break the bank.
Good to know, thank you. Right now, the accountant and I are being very careful with budgeting, but I do have a spare .308 that I might have the money to rework into something more interesting.

Good to know, thank you. Right now, the accountant and I are being very careful with budgeting, but I do have a spare .308 that I might have the money to rework into something more interesting.
Don't give up your dream...or it will never happen...stick to your dream and it will become reality because you make it so!

I have had builds take up 3 years to complete, for a variety of reasons. Many times, budget has been a factor...so I have bought the parts for the build as I could afford them...donor, barrel, stock, etc. While I have a number of custom and semi custom rifles, it has taken about 25 years to acquire and complete these projects. There have also been a few few semi custom projects (simple restocking or rebarreling) that were completed prior to full custom projects because budget or component availability was an issue.

KinleyWater, check out gun shows.Sometimes one can find exactly what they're looking for or just by blind luck fall into a real deal. Case in point, I was wandering around at a show with cash in my pocket (rare) and came across an Oberndorf C ring Mauser in .35 Whelen. Classic stock, nice checkering and the forearm tip and grip cap were made from elephant ivory. I picked it up and it fit me like it was made for me alone. There was another guy trying to dicker the price down so when I asked was was told $900, I said sold. here was only a scope base, Leupold but no scope. No biggee as I had some spare scopes at home. I stopped off ay one of the better LGS to get ring and said to hell with it, boght a scope too. The guy at the counter offered me $3,500 for the rifle and I turned him down. One, I liked the rifle and two, didn't think it was worth that much. After using it for elk hunts, you don't have enough money to buy that rifle. It has been my lucky elk rifle for six hunts now and I want it buried with me when I go.
Paul B.

Yes...I too found a used custom rifle I didn't even know I had been dreaming about...I was a fan of the LH Rem 700 in 7mm Rem Mag...

Walked into the lgs and immediately noticed a LH Sako on the rack for $800.
Turned out to be a AV action (altered to feed and eject the long cartridge) barreled to 7MM STW with a 24" stainless fluted MacLennan barrel, in a Fajen nutmeg laminated stock, weighing 7 lbs even.
Bought Leupold rings and a VX-III 3.5-10x40 scope, a couple boxes of Federal Premium 160 gr SGK ammo and headed to the range to sight it in. It shot 1" groups at 100 yards and 3" groups at 400 yards first trip out! It will also shoot 1" groups at 300 yards with the Federal Premium 160 gr AccuBond ammo at 3222 fps! The lop is a little short for me, but still works, even with heavy winter clothing for late season hunts. Carries, handles and shoulders very well, and has prove to shoot consistently well for me from all field positions.
I doing research after buying it, it would have cost about $4000 to build at the time. Apparently had been built by an unknown gunsmith from New York, who definitely knew what they were doing!
To date it has accounted for 30 animals over the past 24 years from antelope to elk, mountain goat and sheep (bighorn and stones). It too, shall never leave my possession!

Back