Lead Sled warning

Joken

Beginner
Apr 21, 2008
I got an email from someone? (accidently deleted it permanently) that said there have been instances where folks have cracked their stocks shooting wtth the Lead Sled. Nothing there like my sholder to absorb the recoil. Ken

I've never used a Lead Sled but I have wondered about this. Maybe too much weight and not enough give.

JD338

I've heard about that kind of thing happening before and it's usually because people overload the sled with weight. The sled needs to be able to move a little bit--that energy has to go somewhere. We use a led sled in our lab and have never had any problems. Anybody had first-hand experience breaking a stock?

No first hand experience here, but I've heard reliably second hand about an incident where a stock was broken at the pistol grip/wrist area and the cause was traced to the base of the pistol grip riding on some hard part of either the rest or the weight stack on it. I wasn't there, but that's the story I heard. I've heard of other cases of similar damage to stocks when rifles were shot with inadequate support on hard bench tops and the pistol grip contacted the bench top.

Nosler4":6houy4us said:
I've heard about that kind of thing happening before and it's usually because people overload the sled with weight. The sled needs to be able to move a little bit--that energy has to go somewhere. We use a led sled in our lab and have never had any problems. Anybody had first-hand experience breaking a stock?

Makes sense to me.....

If it was a heaver kicking rifle I could see it happening. Years ago at a range I was testing some loads. A guy showed up with a very nice looking Mark V 300 WBY and a contraption similar to a Lead Sled but it was not one of them. It basically restricted movement during recoil to almost nothing. About 10 rounds later his stock broke at the top of the grip area.

I have heard the same thing.
Sales of replacement stocks and repairs are on the rise due to the sled.
It's not that much different than holding the butt of the rifle up to a tree.

The commercial of the guy holding an egg between his shoulder and the sled while firing a 375 is a great sales pitch.

dubyam":1r297chg said:
No first hand experience here, but I've heard reliably second hand about an incident where a stock was broken at the pistol grip/wrist area and the cause was traced to the base of the pistol grip riding on some hard part of either the rest or the weight stack on it. I wasn't there, but that's the story I heard. I've heard of other cases of similar damage to stocks when rifles were shot with inadequate support on hard bench tops and the pistol grip contacted the bench top.
That is why I lay my hand underneath the pistol grip so when the rifle returns from the initial recoil it slams down on your hand like a hammer and raised a weld about 3/8" high. Don't ask me how I know, I and I'll only do that once, I hope :eek:

Black-tailed bandit":k2em2b2i said:
dubyam":k2em2b2i said:
That is why I lay my hand underneath the pistol grip so when the rifle returns from the initial recoil it slams down on your hand like a hammer and raised a weld about 3/8" high. Don't ask me how I know, I and I'll only do that once, I hope :eek:

Oooooooh :shock:
Setting the base of your hand on the top of a fence post with a Ruger Super BlackHawk and touchin` one off, makes ya say all them words your mama told you not to... :grin: :grin:
Never put your body between a firearm and a solid object.

Back