lead tip bullets

30 whisper

Beginner
Dec 13, 2006
I have been relaoding for 15 years and this is news to me. I was helping a friend load up some 357 mag loads for his hand gun he had only reloaded for rifles and was not sure how to reaload them. While i was setting up my dies he was looking at my hunting bullets for my rifles and he noticed the nosler partions. He was asking how they on elk I said great I have shot 2 elk with them with no problems. He then told me that the lead tip melts off the bullet to help overcome friction in the barrel??? :shock: I laughed and told him that is B.S the bullet is not going that fast [2700fts] and if it did i would find lead in my barrel not copper and powder residue I also said that the lead tip is not that soft he still argues with me so i thought i would ask. Is he right or wrong I say wrong.

your friend is correct, You need to send all your lead tipped bullets to me for proper disposal. :grin:

Just kidding........you friend is full of something

Why (or how) would the lead tip melt; it's not subject to any friction or heat from combustion. Heck, even the little plastic tips that are so popular today don't melt.

Another thought - even bullets that have an open base with exposed lead at the rear don't have lead melt out of the jackets from combustion heat.

I had a guy argue with me about the same thing except he claims the tips break off the partitions so they don't work that well.

Aaron

Even if they melted off, I have a hard time not getting PT's to shoot really well in about everything I own. Scotty

Your friend sounds like he has been listening to the fellow I know that actually thinks a bullet speeds up after it leaves the barrel. :roll:

1Shot":lv2b59h9 said:
Your friend sounds like he has been listening to the fellow I know that actually thinks a bullet speeds up after it leaves the barrel. :roll:
Don't they if you're shooting down hill :lol:

Lead melts at 621.5 degrees F. Does he really think the barrel get 3x as hot a boiling water on the first shot?

I read that in one of the gunrags, they said the plastic tips would not melt. I sent them a letter and proposed a simple experiment, hold a lead tipped bullet in a candle flame, you will drop the bullet before the lead melts. Now try the plastic tipped bullet. The plastic melts in a few seconds. They never replied. I am sure most of us have seen high speed photos of bullets in flight, the tip is always present. Pure BS. Rick.

FWIW -
I have a 40gr B-tip that I recovered out of an animal that still has a portion of the orange tip attached to it.
If a 22-250 tossing one of these little projectiles @ around 4K fps can't melt one - I doubt it's going to happen.

Note 2:
I'd have asked him what the use in the case of FMJ bullets to coat / lubricate the barrel ??

There are a lot of experts that have never shot a rifle who nevertheless know all the answers. I marvel at the wealth of ignorance that is available if we will just pause to listen.

Thanks for all the input I have told him most of the things that were stated
from all your comments. Its funny how some people get stuck in their own ways and ideas I just ignore it now.

Back