Learn to shoot in wind and mirage

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
Had some fun yesterday with my buddy at my place yesterday, we set up my self made made gong stand made from 3 way steel pipe fittings and 5 foot steel pipes , we set up 8 inch gongs and one 6 inch gong. The wind was more than I expected, 18 to 20 mph average with some gusts and heavy mirage in 88 degree heat at 11 am. Even though my Strelok Pro app shows the elevation, the 6.5 Creed was still a tad low. An extra 3 to 4 clicks put it on target, and windage was high as from 6 to 9 MOA into the 20 plus wind. It was fun seeing the gongs swing with hits, but we had several misses horizontally due to variable wind. The 6BR and .308 nearly made first round hits. My buddy brought his custom .223 using 80 grain ELD-M's and his 6 GT using 105 Hornady match bullets. They did rock. I brought my 6BR using 105 Hybrids, 6.5 Creed / 147 ELD-M and the 308 / 168 SMK. As for the Strelok Pro, it was off in elevation, but I know that the BC values needs to be changed the further out you shoot. I did some research on what speed / value of BC should be and took notes. By the way, I have a new toy coming next week, a Kestrel 5700 Elite. Heading out to shoot again at 600 next week, and get the BR ready for my March 600 yard match. Can't wait.
Now I'm hooked in learning to shoot in wind. But keep in mind, when we have matches, they won't schedule a match when there are low or no wind. It is what it is, its either go big or go home. 😁

Last edited:
Yup.. When I was shooting matches regularly I got pretty good at doping the wind and keeping those .308 bullets mostly in the 10-ring.

However, what frequently got me, was I wouldn't notice when the wind would let off!

Oops! I'd get that danged wide 8 or 9 and grumble a bit. :) Fun stuff.

Guy

Back