Leaving tomorrow

Gunner46

Handloader
Jan 12, 2015
It's only taken me about, ohhhhh, I dunno, 50+ years, since I was sitting in my uncle's house and 1st read an Outdoor Life article about Pronghorn hunting, fell in love with the animal, but I leave at 5AM tomorrow to fill that lifelong dream. Got a mulie and 2 Lope doe tags to boot.

I'll catch y'all after the 20+ hr drive.

Gunnar,

Best of luck to you.
Have fun and enjoy. Hunting speedgoats is fun. Enjoy your time in God's Country.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Here's wishing you every success. Enjoy the hunt. We're all pulling for you.

Gunnar it is about time :wink:!! All kidding aside I am sure that you are going to have a great hunt. I hope that there will be a good story or 2 along with photos :mrgreen:.
Remember have Fun, Shoot straight and most of all be Safe.

Blessings

For the most part, antelope hunts are fun.
Then there's the windy, rainy, snowy, muddy, frozen everything kind of hunts.

But no matter, you'll have a hunt you've waited all this time for, and I'm sure you'll enjoy every bit that it has to offer.

Have fun,

Gunnar,

Best of luck to you! I am on my way right now to the Lusk, Wy area... Just west of Omaha as I type... Doing the same thing!

Pronghorn are an absolute hoot! You're sure to love it!

Looking forward to pics,

Eric

Good luck fellas. Drive safe and have fun.

JD338

Got loaded up and hit the road at 0530. No real sleep last night, still on midnight shift I guess. Made it 650 miles to Des Moines, and called it a day. Bad headache for the last 325. Made good time though.

690 to go tomorrow.

I made it to Newcastle, Wy by 3:30 pm. The route brought me in through the Black Hills NF and I got to see my 1st Bighorns, up close and personal right off the side of a twisty/turning path leading out of the NF! 30 ft max.

So, I checked into my >$300/wk motel, unpacked the truck, hit the grocery, and have the day pack ready. I'll be 3 miles off the nearest road by dawn.

I woke up really early because I'm still on East coast time. Delaying myself as I may, I was headed to a walk-in area well before dawn. Got to see the sun cresting over a crisp, clear Western horizon after so many, many years. Learned some Lope hunting lessons early on, the 1st day.

1) Ya don't need to be out there at day break, unless you already know exactly where they're going to be.

2) Wind is your friend, or your nightmare.

3) THEY ARE SMALL !! OMG, I had a 20'ish doe/fawns casually just stroll up, as if I were nothing more than a cow turd, and linger for over 10 minutes within 20 yards. (See, eastern whitetail hunting skills Do have applications out West) Wish I could have got a pic, but they were right on me before I could get ready.

4) This is FUN ! I think I'll do it again tomorrow !!

Gunnar, thank you for the update!! I am sure you are going to connect on a nice Buck!!
Keep in touch (y) & stay safe.

Blessings,
Dan

Great update.
Best of luck to you Gunnar, and yeah, antelope hunting is fun. It's a much more relaxing hunt than most.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Back