Left Hand rifle questions

It doesn't have to be really expensive to put a decent 700 together. Brownells sells the actions, pick the barrel of your choice/budget and put the pieces together. We did one for a good friend and the overall price was very reasonable since we only paid the smith for screwing a barrel on. The rest of us pitched in and did the bedding, Cerrakote and other fitting needed. It is ashame Winchester doesn't make any LH rifles though.

It's true that Brownell's advertised M700 actions on their website but I have never seen a LH action in stock, and I check it regularly. Most times they don't have RH's, only when Remington makes a few extra.
I personally, would rather have a LH M700 action to build on as I know what to do with it. Mostly anyway. The options seem to be; Buy a new SP donor and throw away everything but the action.
Buy a used one, but I live way out in the sticks and far away from pawns shops and gun shops.
Buy a custom action that's already trued.

BTW I have found a couple of LH M70's lately for a good price. Makes me wonder what's wrong with them.

You bring up a great point DH. Buying a Remington action vs a custom action is usually about the same price by the time everything is trued up on the Remington, your into a decent custom action for about the same money that needs little to no extra work.

As some of you know I have two rifles built on LH Remington actions, a CDL magnum action and a SPS standard. I am happy with both, the CDL is by far the slickest action I have ever owned and I know the SPS can get there too one day, it is excellent as is though. It turns out some of the Rem 700 clones have issues with misfiring from some of the research I did a while back so be careful to research them all well if you use one. I'll stick with my Remingtons however..... :)

I have three left handed rifles.
I'll keep one right handed rifle, 25-06, and sell the other three.
I've yet to get a custom build, and may never do so, given that I'm pretty happy with what I have. If I was going to have one custom built I'd likely use the .338 Model 70 action and keep the caliber the same. There is something, OK several somethings, that I like about that rifle and action.

Back