Lest We Forget

My family has been very fortunate. I had a great-uncle who was severely wounded on D-Day. Shot thru the neck, the bullet came out his ear on the other side. But he survived with hearing loss in that ear. Had 2 uncles in Vietnam, one in SF (Green Beret) and the other in the 101st. Both had their share of close calls, but both made it out more or less intact. My uncle in the 101st and other members of his unit were saved by a man named Charles Kettles, who was later awarded the MOH for his actions. Uncle didn't think he was going to come back from that battle.

Grateful to all those who gave the "last full measure of devotion," and sorry for the families they left behind.

Very deep respect for our veterans. Has been several in my family thru the years. My father was in the 90th Inf, Div. 3rd Army, uncles in WW2 mom's younger brother KIA Feb 19th, 1945, 503rd PIR on Corregidor Island, Philippines. Older cousins in Korea and Vietnam. Thanks to all who served. Dan.

That’s my Uncle.

Dad was in the Pacific. Five battles to include Okinawa and Peleliu. Another Uncle in the Aleutian Island Campaign.

Brother was in Korea and cousins in Vietnam. Of all them only my Uncle didn’t make it home. My cousins, his offspring, are deceased now. His grandkids and I were talking and thinking about bringing him home to the family plot.

Anybody know who we would talk to about that?

Vince

Yes. "Lest We Forget" is correct. I am not sure some of the younger Americans ever even learned an appreciation for the sacrifices made in prior wars. It would be interesting to me to see what the schools are teaching about the wars now.

Yes. "Lest We Forget" is correct. I am not sure some of the younger Americans ever even learned an appreciation for the sacrifices made in prior wars. It would be interesting to me to see what the schools are teaching about the wars now.
I’m afraid I’d be ashamed at what they are teaching now.
Vince

That’s my Uncle.

Dad was in the Pacific. Five battles to include Okinawa and Peleliu. Another Uncle in the Aleutian Island Campaign.

Brother was in Korea and cousins in Vietnam. Of all them only my Uncle didn’t make it home. My cousins, his offspring, are deceased now. His grandkids and I were talking and thinking about bringing him home to the family plot.

Anybody know who we would talk to about that?

Vince
I know the families were offered to have their loved ones brought home after WW2 as for now after all these years don't know if that offer is still available. Check with the VA or contact your congressman to see if they will give you any help or at least tell you who to contact. Dan.

Back