Leupold accesories

Newysan

Beginner
Jan 4, 2009
Greetings. A friend recently showed me a movie of a hunter who sent his scope to the factory and they installed a bullet drop compensator turret. Apparently you tell them the cal. and weight of bullet and they can install the device. You use your hand held range finder to determine distance, turn the knob to the correct yardage and hold dead on {pun intended} and that's where the Nosler bullet goes. Granted it means the range finder is another thing to deal with but I was very impressed with the results. I believe the cost was around $300 , which is not to bad considering the quality of their merchandise and a service dept. that is second to none. Sure would like to hear some comments on this feature. Anybody used one yet? Thanks in advance. Newysan Don't trust a govt. that does not trust you to own a gun.

I got the M1 dials on my 4.5x14x40mm LR. Great work for about 150 bucks. And of course guaranteed for life.

Newysan

I have M1 dials and dial in my yardage. The BDC diams work but be forwarned that you will also have to provide Leupold with elevation and temperature in addition to bullet BC and velocity. These will, however slight, have a bearing on your zero.
If you go with M1 dials, you can use a ballistic calculator and create a drop chart. This is what I use for my 22-250, 280 AI and 338 RUM.
http://www.biggameinfo.com/BalCalcAdv.aspx

JD338

Up here they have what is called the canadian model they sell in retail sports stores and comes in three different models with a few different turrets already produced or you can send info to them and they will make custom turrets for you in a couple of weeks.I have a 3-9x40 gold ring set for 300 win.mag 180gr bullet 2960 fps works like a charm.

For a BDC to work, you have to provide the following...

Bullet BC
Bullet Velocity (you need a chronograph for exact velocity)
Elevation
Temperature

There are a lot of variables, as they change, so will your impacts. Inside 500-600 yds, these changes will not be that far off.

JD338

There is no doubt the system works well from Leupold.
I have had experiences with these systems on Zeiss and a Bushnell. The Bushnell Banner was so perfect that out to 550 yds (500 Meters) I could hit the siloute ram every time with my 300 Wby.
The only problem I had and have is that the BDC ring is subject to turning if you put it in a soft case or anything that could contact the ring. In real hunting situations it has cost me two bucks because in the early morning dark I couldn't see, or more accurately stated, didn't check the ring to see if it was on the range I normally carry it on (200) yds. so when my shot came and the animal was missed I was surprised to find the ring had spun to several hundred yards and way higher than I thought.
If you shoot only targets or are fastidious about checking the BDC ring setting EVERY time before hunting it's great.
I have found that BDC (Boone and Crocket type) reticles have worked the best for me in terms of fast aquisition and dependability.
Good Hunting
Greg

Back